Big South? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2010   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Big South?

Anyone know when the gate will be open? What's the snow pack like up there? I'm looking to get up there around the 28th if it's in. More importantly, where's the stoke?

Cinnamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #2
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Ah, the annual "when will the gate open" thread.

This year it is an especially anticipated topic since all our other rivers in the front range besides the poudre seem to be quickly drying up.

Anyhow, I called the appropriate ranger station yesterday and asked about Long Draw road. The ranger wasn't able to give any specifics about the gate opening, but said that the Long Draw campground is slated to open the 4th of July weekend, so obviously the gate will be open by then. She also said that Long Draw didn't get rain damaged like some other roads up that way and there is a possibility that the gate will open by this weekend. But I was told to call back at the end of the week to get a better timing estimate.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #3

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Looking to hit it the 4th and 5th if the gate is open.

Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
Ah, the annual "when will the gate open" thread.

This year it is an especially anticipated topic since all our other rivers in the front range besides the poudre seem to be quickly drying up.

Anyhow, I called the appropriate ranger station yesterday and asked about Long Draw road. The ranger wasn't able to give any specifics about the gate opening, but said that the Long Draw campground is slated to open the 4th of July weekend, so obviously the gate will be open by then. She also said that Long Draw didn't get rain damaged like some other roads up that way and there is a possibility that the gate will open by this weekend. But I was told to call back at the end of the week to get a better timing estimate.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010   #4

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Kent,

I have a few, myself included looking at the 4th and 5th as well if your looking for any additional paddlers.

Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #5

kayaker
my favorite thread of the year! can't wait! here is last years edit to get us through the next week!
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #6

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Nope just me so far. I've been on it half a dozen times so pretty comfortable in there. I'll be coming up from Denver the morning of the 4th. Looking to hit it the 4th. . . and possible the 5th if I'm not too wrung out.

Kent

Looks like we might have a short window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_kayak365 View Post
Kent,

I have a few, myself included looking at the 4th and 5th as well if your looking for any additional paddlers.

Josh
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #7

acc.... i'll be back in town tomorrow night. i'd love to go get it this weekend if the gate is open. looks like long draw is on the way up. either way lets go paddle, i need it.
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #8
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlee View Post
acc.... i'll be back in town tomorrow night. i'd love to go get it this weekend if the gate is open. looks like long draw is on the way up. either way lets go paddle, i need it.
Sounds good, we'll get something good.

Kent, I think I will be up there for at least part of the 4th weekend and you are always welcome to join whatever posse I roll up there with. Joe's gonna be back in town as well.
Old 06-25-2010   #9
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Big South gate not gonna open this weekend. Ranger for Canyon Lakes district told me "unlikely" yesterday which I take to mean no. So I guess next weekend will be Big South-a-palooza.

If anyone wants to pester them again today to make sure, the number is 970-295-6700.
Old 06-25-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
My understanding of the Long Draw Road situation is that it has more to do with staffing campgrounds than the dryness of the road. That road has probably been dry since late May. Assuming that they planned on opening the road on the weekend of the fourth (as they usually do), it seems extremely unlikely that they would open it beforehand.
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote