Big guy wondering if I’ll fit in a boat - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-04-2018   #1

Big guy wondering if I’ll fit in a boat

I’m looking at a Riot Big Gun for sale in my vicinity. The only info I can find on it is the paddler weight, which I believe is 240 lbs. I fit in that window, but my problem is that I’m 6’6” with size 15 feet. The guy selling it is only 5’10” and was unsure if I’d have room. It’s about an hour and a half away from me, so I don’t want to waste a 3 hour drive to not fit and come home empty handed. If anyone out there has any insight on the matter, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

FlashUde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018   #2

New Castle, Colorado
I just bought a Liquid Logic Remix 79 for my first boat. The paddler weight is 170-260. I'm on the way lower end of that at 185, but the reason I bought it was my size 14 feet. As a bonus, from what I can tell, it's a really great boat to learn in. I managed to learn to roll it after two sessions in a pool. I've also seen quite a few of them used, and bought mine used pretty reasonably.
JPG87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG87 View Post
I just bought a Liquid Logic Remix 79 for my first boat. The paddler weight is 170-260. I'm on the way lower end of that at 185, but the reason I bought it was my size 14 feet. As a bonus, from what I can tell, it's a really great boat to learn in. I managed to learn to roll it after two sessions in a pool. I've also seen quite a few of them used, and bought mine used pretty reasonably.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll keep my eye out.
FlashUde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018   #4

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 15
You may also look at Bay Liners, Lund, etc.....plenty of room in them boats.:
riverpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #5

I'm 6'8" 240lbs and size 15 feet. Been paddling a while now. I've been very happy with Jackson Kayak they have several boats that I'd look at before a Riot Big Gun. Notably a used Karma or Super Fun depending on your paddling needs. A Monstar, for a play boat, a large Antix, a large Zen, or Large Nirvana would also work. Dagger Mamba 8.5 is another option and Pyranha will also make a few creek/river boats you can fit in. Pyranha also just introduced the ripper which is a large river/play type boat that I fit in easily, but have not paddled so I can't really comment. Wave sport super EZ if you can find one or a large wavesport Diesel would probably also fit the bill. So you have options. Definitely worth looking around for a while. When I started paddling there wasn't much I could get in and bought a boat that was not right for me and hated. I learned how to boat in it so thats good, but I was looking for a new boat about five minutes after I got in the first one. Demo some, try them in a pool or lake and find one you will be comfortable in and that will allow you to grow and improve and you'll be better off than finding the first thing you can get in and hoping for the best.
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm about 5" shorter with "normal" size 11 feet, but I'm about your weight or a bit bigger and I paddled a Big Gun for a while when it came out(till it broke). I bet you fit in the Big Gun just fine, but its hard to say for sure. For a similar style boat from the same designer that is a lot longer, have a look at the Drago Rossi Critical Mass. Might be kinda hard to find, but its a 9 foot boat so shouldn't be a problem for you to fit in.

There are any number of modern creek boats out there to choose from in that same 9 foot category. Have a look at the Pyranha 9R, Liquid Logic Remix 79 or Delta V 88, Dagger Phantom or Nomad, and others.

If you are looking for a more playful boat that can still run hard whitewater, I know the Soul Waterman Funky Munky is almost 10' long and might be worth a look. I bet the Ripper would work great for ya too. Both are slicy sterns with creek boat style bows.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #7

Also, liquid logics tend to be a bit narrow in the outfitting for me. I do fit in the LL Freeride 67 but most of the other boats I struggle even getting in.
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I’m coming in at 6’3 320 lbs.

Jackson kayak is the best fit for big guys in my opinion.

Like others said, you’ll get the added width and deck height making it more comfortable for all day.

I’d recommend a karma or nirvana or super hero etc...

Playboat would be Monstar and super fun.

Your a tick smaller than me so you might see what fits best for you. Welcome to kayaking, it’s a blast.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
[QUOTE=brokenpaddlejon;710999]I'm 6'8" 240lbs and size 15 feet. Been paddling a while now. I've been very happy with Jackson Kayak they have several boats that I'd look at before a Riot Big Gun. Notably a used Karma or Super Fun depending on your paddling needs. A Monstar, for a play boat, a large Antix, a large Zen, or Large Nirvana would also work. Dagger Mamba 8.5 is another option and Pyranha will also make a few creek/river boats you can fit in. Pyranha also just introduced the ripper which is a large river/play type boat that I fit in easily, but have not paddled so I can't really comment. Wave sport super EZ if you can find one or a large wavesport Diesel would probably also fit the bill. So you have options. Definitely worth looking around for a while.

I'm 6'-6", size 14's, and 195-205#.
I agree with the other poster that LiquidLogic outfitting is narrow..would fit me, probably wouldn't fit you.

I fit in the Monstar, but it's too big (volume) for my weight. It might be perfect for you at 240#.

x2 on the Mamba..super comfy yet good river-runner. Big enough for a multiday but not enormous given your size..you won't be "swimming" in it.

I loved the WS SuperEZ, but they had flattish decks. Now at age 43, they hurt my knees. I used to rock a Big EZ with custom toe bumps, and I actually stuffed myself into a regular EZ (back when i was in my late 20's and my knees somehow bent backwards/sideways.) haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpaddlejon View Post
When I started paddling there wasn't much I could get in and bought a boat that was not right for me and hated. I learned how to boat in it so thats good, but I was looking for a new boat about five minutes after I got in the first one. Demo some, try them in a pool or lake and find one you will be comfortable in and that will allow you to grow and improve and you'll be better off than finding the first thing you can get in and hoping for the best.

^^^Don't spend too much on your first boat. If you can find one that fits for $300, grab it. It's worth having your own boat that you can outfit and take to pool sessions.
Don't buy new until you know what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
Welcome to kayaking, itís a blast.

Absolutely!! I'm going on 22 years now, and it's the one sport I've never "outgrown". I like rafting and taking non-boating friends and family members on my favorite rivers, but kayaking is what really gives me joy.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018   #10

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Tallboy here...6í8Ē, 210, size 14, 36Ē inseam.
Boats Iíve owned and loved:
Jackson superstar, super fun, mon-star, and karma lg (had a mega rocker, good fit, not my favorite boat tho). Any large Jackson fits great, except for the antix, I had to stuff my feet in there and hated it. The dagger axiom large was a much better fit and probably will be my next runner/playboat.
I canít fit into any LL Boat, the cockpit has always been too small.
The mon-star is still by playboat but at 210 itís tough to be very snappy with it. My old superstar was definitey the right volume but just isnít as comfortable. I canít fit into a rockstar.
Good luck, the looks youíll get at the takeout never get old. My go to joke is my playboat is like a flinstone car with a hole in the bottom, I just run along the bottom of the river. Good luck, SYOTR
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote