Big Creek,Idaho a great Middle Fork tributary - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-09-2008   #1

Commercial Paleontology
Big Creek,Idaho a great Middle Fork tributary

Just got off the Middle Fork of the Salmon....Awesome trip!....but the highlight of the trip was hiking up & doing several miles of Big Creek. Does anyone have any info on this run? Eddy Flower is very limited on it. Also doesn't Idaho have a boaters forum? What is it?

Thanxs,
MtnGuyXC

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/idahowhitewater/messages
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #3

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's another that may have a wider audience:

Kayak Idaho - Kayak Idaho - Index
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008   #4

I did this run sometime back in the 80's. Great trip. Flew into a landing strip where we put in on a very small creek and paddled out to Riggins where the Main was flowing about 30000. That said, you probably paddled the best whitewater on Big Creek in that hike up that you did. As I recall the upper part was pretty bony, got better toward the middle and the best ww at the end. Great camping and wilderness at that time. Well worth it as a "source" to big water kind of trip. All depends on what you're looking for
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #5

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Loon was similar. flew in 22 miles above the confluence w/ the mid fk. the bottom 2 or 3 miles were the best whitewater
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #6

Commercial Paleontology
Big Creek

Yes we also did Loon Creek...hiked up as far as where the wood just became too much of an issue of which there was lots of. Much smaller creek & more technical. Big C. had lots more volume & was pushy but more open lines. Loon had a CA Sierra look to it. Also hiked up Rapid Creek a ways..not as hard as the other two but probably just didn't hike far enough.

MtnGuyXC
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008   #7

Anybody done Camas? I did some surfing in the bottom mile but have heard there's some good V up higher.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
Just got off the Middle Fork of the Salmon....Awesome trip!....but the highlight of the trip was hiking up & doing several miles of Big Creek. Does anyone have any info on this run? Eddy Flower is very limited on it. Also doesn't Idaho have a boaters forum? What is it?

Thanxs,
MtnGuyXC
Here is some info for you. I have seen more rattlesnakes within a couple miles of Big Creek than the rest of the MF combined.

Also Captain Bernard, who was in charge of the command responsible for finding the Sheepeater indians was court-martialed for dereliction of duty ( after the campaign ) due to an incident up on Big Creek. Apparently his sergeant came to find the good Captain at his fishing spot after first contact with the indians. Bernard didn't want to go chase indians cause the fishing was pretty good. He was quoted by the sergeant as saying "Dammit sergeant you cost me a bite. We will leave when I return to camp." He didn't come back till after dark, which peeved his troops a bit. They left the next morning and proceeded on with the mission.

Kind of like when you go boating with non-fisher folk and they just don't get how long it takes to get to camp. Not much fun for rafters to boat with the fishers sometimes I guess.

He ended up with an administrative slap on the wrist from what I can tell for his dereliction.

As far as info on the run, I don't have any. Have hiked up a couple miles and always wanted to go further up just to see it.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #9

Big Creek

Yeah, Big Creek is a fun run when there's enough water. I've hiked up a couple miles and run it. You can also fly in to Yellow Pine, launch near the headwaters and run the whole creek (with many portages around wood).
ransark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #10

Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Big Creek and Nimble Rafter's - Idaho

Hey folks,

So my crew is conceiving a trip down Big Creek into the MF.

Some of us are kayakers, but we have a few experienced rafters in the group who would like to make the trip, if in fact it is not a death wish or close.

So what is the word.

Anyone ever rafted it or know someone who has? Account of the trip?

Also be glad to hear from kayakers who have been down, esp those that understand the raft dynamic on such a creek.

Season? Looked good around the 20th of June last year as we walked up a few.

Any advice welcome

Group would likely be 2-3 kayakers, 2-3 rafters (R-2(3))

Thanks.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote