Beware of Aggressive Dogs near the confluence of Colorado and Gunnison - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-25-2011   #1

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Beware of Aggressive Dogs near the confluence of Colorado and Gunnison

Yesterday I had the privilege, no the honor to encounter a pack of pit bulls at the confluence of the Colorado and Gunnison. A fellow boater wet exited prior to 5th street bridge. As an attempt to salvage a yard sale of gear we found a nice eddy on river left, just past the old railroad bridge. To my surprise a pack of bit bulls came running out of the cottonwoods and into the water. At this point another fellow boater yells, "That's the f*&%ing dog that bit me". Luckily the dogs did not swim out to us but definitely put a damper on our float.

The owners of the dogs were some of Grand Junctions finest. Local bums who have found refuge with tents, sleeping bags, generators. Needless to say I am not happy with this colonization of such trash in our community. It puts our boating community at danger! This eddy is a great place to practice eddy turns, surf and ride some waves for hours.

Please use caution when floating this stretch!

gtownboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds like a call to the local police and animal control may be in order. I've got nothing against the homeless finding a hospitable place to stay, but we don't need dangers like this.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'd hate to rat out somebody's dog,but if it is a pit bull that already bit someone....

Once on Foxton ,where it runs behind some cottages [Longview ?] this friggin' rottweiler from the last house comes running at me barking his ass off and dives in the river and is swimming out full tilt to attack.I was about to bash him in the head with a paddle when he got into swifter deeper current and gave it up.One of those same houses has some dogs ,one of which is a pit bull,they never do anything but bark when you paddle by.I solo it alot and walking or riding a bike by there on the shuttle is far more nerve racking than anything on the run.They've got some nuisance horses too that roam free and aggressively mooch food and get into unattended coolers down at Waterton put in and another take out upstream.Once one of them tried to take a beer right out of a guy's hand ,slobbered all over the can.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011   #4

Aw, life is hard when your biggest worries are dogs barking at you on the rivier and a horse slobbering all over your beer can.

When you are boating through someone's backyard, be glad we have the right to do it, but don't push it. I can't imagine being scared of a dog on Foxton. So paddle into deeper water and let the dog try to bite your boat while swimming.

I'm sorry that a mountain river is not living up to your ideal of an orderly life.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
A little bacon goes a long way.

With both dogs and hobos.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #6
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Vicious dogs do not belong off leash in anything other than an enclosed yard. Dogs will protect their territory, but sounds like these dogs are going beyond the boundaries of their owners' property and should thus be contained.
I'd call animal control. This doesn't have anything to do with running a pristine (or not) river.
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #7

Did you happen to note what breed of horse it was? We need to start a petition to ban this breed of aggressive klepto slobbering horse now. Today it's a can of beer tomorrow that horse may try to knock off a grocery store for carrots then who knows it could go for a jewelry store for some not so tasty carats.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #8
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Aw, life is hard when your biggest worries are dogs barking at you on the rivier and a horse slobbering all over your beer can.

When you are boating through someone's backyard, be glad we have the right to do it, but don't push it. I can't imagine being scared of a dog on Foxton. So paddle into deeper water and let the dog try to bite your boat while swimming.

I'm sorry that a mountain river is not living up to your ideal of an orderly life.
I have zero tolerence for agressive dogs. I'd one up ya and just paddle over to the dog and hold his head under for awhile.. see what happens, in the name of science of course..
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #9

Kansas City, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2009
I have had no accounts with dogs on the rivers before but I have on my rode bike. A can of pepper spray will keep them at bay. Haven't had any trouble with that dog since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownboater View Post
Yesterday I had the privilege, no the honor to encounter a pack of pit bulls at the confluence of the Colorado and Gunnison. A fellow boater wet exited prior to 5th street bridge. As an attempt to salvage a yard sale of gear we found a nice eddy on river left, just past the old railroad bridge. To my surprise a pack of bit bulls came running out of the cottonwoods and into the water. At this point another fellow boater yells, "That's the f*&%ing dog that bit me". Luckily the dogs did not swim out to us but definitely put a damper on our float.

The owners of the dogs were some of Grand Junctions finest. Local bums who have found refuge with tents, sleeping bags, generators. Needless to say I am not happy with this colonization of such trash in our community. It puts our boating community at danger! This eddy is a great place to practice eddy turns, surf and ride some waves for hours.

Please use caution when floating this stretch!
mlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I love those horses on Foxton.

When you park there, just take the worst spot possible, no shade, not over any kind of weeds, etc. When you take out there, be nice to the horses. Maybe they're used to Theopolis feeding them Fat Tire now, so that would explain a few things. Consider it a parking fee.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote