Beta on Yampa Canyon at 17,000? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2008   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Beta on Yampa Canyon at 17,000?

I'm lucky enough to be putting on the Yampa this coming Sunday and wanted to know if anyone had insight as to what it's like at 17,000 cfs. I've done it at 10,000 and it was great rolling class III's (with the exception of Warm Springs). Does Warm Springs Rapid just get nastier?

Thanks

kurtmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008   #2

Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtmo View Post
I'm lucky enough to be putting on the Yampa this coming Sunday and wanted to know if anyone had insight as to what it's like at 17,000 cfs. I've done it at 10,000 and it was great rolling class III's (with the exception of Warm Springs). Does Warm Springs Rapid just get nastier?

Thanks

There is a lateral wave above warm springs at this level that can screw with you. Watch it during your scout for a while. IF you decide to take the meat be prepared to swim... timing is everything. Also, there are several unmarked pourovers - just be on your game. Schoolboy, I believe that is the one I am thinking of, can flip you too. Everything is big. and cold. It is the best trip you will have so much fun!
ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #3
Bonneville Cutthroat

Mancos, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:

Thanks
See you at Deerlodge! We're putting in on Sunday too. How many on your permit? What time is your launch? How many boats?

We are: 25, 10am, 10 boats (4 dories)
ocutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008   #4

We have 16 people - six rafts, two kayaks (I'm one of those), and two ducky's. I don't know what time we put on but we're planning on being at the put-in by 3pm Saturday. We applied for and got an extra night so we'll have six days and five nights on the river.

Have you seen the level? It's 19,700 and climbing! We'll easily be over 20K! This is going to be a wild ride.
Old 05-22-2008   #5
Bonneville Cutthroat

Mancos, Colorado
Quote:
We have 16 people - six rafts, two kayaks (I'm one of those), and two ducky's. I don't know what time we put on but we're planning on being at the put-in by 3pm Saturday. We applied for and got an extra night so we'll have six days and five nights on the river.

Have you seen the level? It's 19,700 and climbing! We'll easily be over 20K! This is going to be a wild ride.
Rats! You took our extra night

This cold front is going to slow the runoff, it's going to taper down over the next few days...looks like it could be down to 14k by Sunday. Still a wild ride for sure though!!!

YAMPA - DEERLODGE PARK (YDLC2)
Old 05-22-2008   #6

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
We were settin the high water mark when i did it a couple weeks ago. I think it may have peaked at around 13-14k when we were on. You'll be flyin,no need to even dip your oars,just let the current take ya. Warm Springs will be a wild ride. I ran right,seemed pretty straight forward for me. We Had one boat in our party flip-he was more center,i believe. In the MEAT! They swam for quite a while. Its such a cool river to be on when its flooding,no dams n shit controllin the release. Good stuff. Split mountain was just fun read-n-run waves. Very straight forward. I think the first one(moonshine?) was most difficult,still easy. You'll be cookin thru that section,it seemed like we did that 8mile section in 8 minutes. I believe it was at 16k thru there.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #7

ocutah,

Thanks for including that website link. That is very cool, I hadn't seen it before.

I'd like to say I'm sorry that we got your extra day but I'd be lieing! We wanted Mathers as a camp but didn't get it. Maybe you took that from us!
Old 05-22-2008   #8
Bonneville Cutthroat

Mancos, Colorado
Quote:
ocutah,

Thanks for including that website link. That is very cool, I hadn't seen it before.

I'd like to say I'm sorry that we got your extra day but I'd be lieing! We wanted Mathers as a camp but didn't get it. Maybe you took that from us!
Yep, we got Mathers. We got all the camps I wanted, so I am far from unhappy about not getting the extra day. We're at Big Joe, Mathers, Box 3 & JH 1. Are you the PH? Come by and say hello at Deerlodge. Are you laying over somewhere or moving every day?
Old 05-22-2008   #9
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
cold front

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocutah View Post

This cold front is going to slow the runoff, it's going to taper down over the next few days...looks like it could be down to 14k by Sunday. Still a wild ride for sure though!!!

YAMPA - DEERLODGE PARK (YDLC2)
just started snowing here in Steamboat, so maybe the Yampa will go down a bit.
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #10

We're on the move every day but with what Barry Dingle posted it doesn't look like they will be long days for any of us. We have Ponderosa, Big Joe (leave it clean will ya!), Harding Hole #1, Box Elder #1, and Big Island. I'll be sure to say hi at the put-in!

No, I'm not the PH.