Beta on Upper Dolores - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Beta on Upper Dolores

I want to go and run the upper Dolores river from Stoner to Dolores. Anyone on here ran that section and have info?? I have checked americanwhitewater.org and crc and the run they describe is above Stoner (Stoner Stampede) but I am pretty sure people run it all the time from Stoner to Dolores. Any info is appreciated, if someone else feels like running this section on Wed or Thurs let me know. Thanks!!

durangoskiier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
I have paddled the stretch many times. Pretty much Class II-III the entire way. Nothing too big you have to worry about. Stoner Stampede (right at the Taylor Mesa turnoff) is a great play hole, though in an open canoe it will eat your lunch.

Just make sure you take your wire cutters, an occasional barbed wire fence is not uncommon.
mattwilliams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #3

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
There's a ( new? ) low clearance bridge about halfway between Bear Creek Trailhead and Stoner at higher water(2000+ at Stoner / 3000+ at Dolores) with no eddies, that I don't think you'll be able to get under in a raft. I leaned all the way on my back deck and touched the beam with my hand only a couple of inches from my face. There is also a couple of low bridges from Stoner to Dolores to watch out for. And a fair amount of wood especially when the river braids.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008   #4

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
As of yesterday there was no barbed wire from the Dolores West Fork to town, don't know above the West Fork.
Below the West Fork:
There is a M*^%##F*&#$% suspension bridge not too far below Stapleton Bridge (a solid bridge with a County Rd sign visible from the river, right next to the highway), that can feel really low at high water (2000 cfs+). Go river right under the suspension bridge. It is visible well before you get there, but it has horizontally place metal grates to walk on and I'd hate for anyone to hit that damn thing.

Not far past that is the state fish hatchery diversion damn (aka Little Niagara) that is a fun drop. Just past that is an area we call Car Body Alley with lots of fun rusted metal waiting to get ya at low water. At current flows this should not be an issue.

The fun stuff in town is pretty well washed out due to McPhee reservoir backing upriver, but it is all good!!!

Have fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwilliams22 View Post
I have paddled the stretch many times. Pretty much Class II-III the entire way. Nothing too big you have to worry about. Stoner Stampede (right at the Taylor Mesa turnoff) is a great play hole, though in an open canoe it will eat your lunch.

Just make sure you take your wire cutters, an occasional barbed wire fence is not uncommon.
doloresgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #5

Also, the gauge on EF is Dolores nr Dolores. For Stoner Stampede, you want to use the Dolores blo Rico gauge because of the flow contributed by the West Fork.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #6

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
sort of. lots of stuff comes in below rico and above stoner. i would say the stoner flow is definately closer to the dolores town reading than rico. the actual flow falls somewhere between the 2, but closer to the dolores town reading.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote