Beta on the Blue for 7/3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2005   #1

Beta on the Blue for 7/3

I was thinking about running the Blue on Sunday. I heard the lower is no longer accessible. Is this true? Can we still access per CRC?

Also, the earlier post about the Blue made the upper sound like a class I float trip. Will it be worth the trip for a Class IV kayaker and open boater?

Anyone that is interested is welcome to join us. We'll be hitting the Poudre on Monday as well.

Thanks for the info.

Pete

GPP34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005   #2

The upper blue from the dam for about 5 miles is class I-II the narrows and drops fast!!! IV- and continuous III to the take out before a road bridge... well marked but it sat 1/4 mile and is slightly more on river left! I want to run the rest but need beta as the next 9 miles is private land and no access! there is public land just before Green Mountain Rez. on river left by an old cemetary with huge parking lot!!!!
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #3

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The lower is still accessible, but only at certain hours. i think until 7 on weekends and 4 on weekdays. They will impound any vehicles left inside the gate after they shut you out, but you can still park at the top of the hill and walk back in, without any problems, as long as you are on the river by "closing time".
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
just walked in the door from running the lower from the dam to the ONLY raft take out. County rd.10(blue valley acres). you miss this take out and you are portaging around farm bridges, on very private land. bouncy class 3 with two low water diversions. First one run right down the middle. Second is V shaped, approach from river left and drop just left of the center of the V. the rest is read and go. WARNING. the put in is not very raft friendly. bring at least 60+ feet of rope as you have to slide your boat down a very steep grass hill. water time about 45 mins. take out is a hassle too. But this section doesn't run like this often
robatnordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005   #5

Ran the lower today. Most everything has washed out except the one larger rapid right before the two dams. We had a swimmer in that rapid as the waves and holes were bigger but she went over the first dam sans boat just fine. The water is quite a bit swifter and I didn't see the dam (trying to gather gear) but went right throught the center with little speed and still did not stick, but I would recommend a little more speed as it was a little closer than I'd like. The second is primarily a rock fall that I saw one person run just left of center and then me and two others ran on the the left without difficulties. If you're in a raft you could pretty much do whatever you like--theres's nothing in there to trip you up and there's enough water to make the dams easy on your rubber but I do agree with the rope for the put in. Pretty canyon and a fun run with at least one good play wave. Have a good time. Oh and you should not have any access problems tomorrow.
medman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005   #6

Dillon, Colorado
I also ran it today. "Wall Rapid" was great, but I found myself too far right and missed most of the big wave train. I like how the rock garden between Wall and the first dam has turned into an actual rapid.

I ran the first dam left-of-center and the second one about halfway from right to center. I thought it was going to be sticky, but I didn't even need to paddle to get through.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
Old 07-03-2005   #7

Dillon, Colorado
I also noticed that the posted hours for access include "holiday mondays" as weekend days. So we have until 7PM tomorrow (7/4).

See ya there tomorrow!
Old 07-05-2005   #8

you miss read the sign. they close at 4 on weekdays weather they are holiday or not.
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #9

Dillon, Colorado
No offense, dude, but you misread the sign (unless we read different signs).

It is DEFINITELY open until 7 on "holiday Mondays" such as yesterday when we got off the river at 6:30 and the gate was open at 6:45 when we went to get the vehicles.
Old 07-05-2005   #10

it looked like they were kicking people out at 4:00 when we dropped someone off to get their car at 4:00.
bill is offline   Reply With Quote