Beta on Grnd Canyon Trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-10-2007   #1

Vail, Colorado
Beta on Grnd Canyon Trip

We are planning a white water Grand Canyon trip for my friends bechelor party. We are looking for a 3 or so day trip. There will only be a few of us experienced kayakers on the trip.

Some of the cats are coming from the east coast and haven't really been on the water much or at all. This should be a mellow trip.

I am looking to see if anyone knows of a good, reasonable priced outfitter that could accomodate us. Any beta is great beta.

Thanks,

Stevesie.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007   #2

Palisade, Colorado
I think youre out of luck...there is no three day trip on the grand. you could float the very bottom section into Lake Mead, but it can be dead water, much wind, and longer than 3 days. you might have to pick another river...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You might be ale to get on a motorized partial trip from the put-in to Phantom, or Phantom to Diamond in 3 days plus travel days. Motor Boats regularly run the Canyon in 6 days. This would probably preclude you from being able to Kayak any of the rapids - but the right outfitter might make it possible for you to hop on and off the motorized pontoon monster. Of course this would probably require you to hike your boats in or out at Phantom - or somehow get them to the outfitter either 4 days before the trip or 4 days after it, or just rent boats from the outfitter if possible. Otherwise there are some outfitters who run the lower 55 miles (Diamond to Lake Mead) on motorized boats in either a day trip or 2/3 day format. Since they use motors to keep the pace up being in your kayak would be difficult but not impossible if you are in rock star shape. But since it is a bachelor party maybe you are cool with being on the big rig. Most of the motorized boats are 30 ft long pontoon boats called J-rigs (I only mention this since I don't think they exist on the East Coast). They rarely flip and are well suited to first timers - all you have to do is hold on.

Arizona River Runners offers a 3 day trip and 6 day full canyon trips - Colorado River trips, rafts and boats & Grand Canyon camping gear information
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007   #4
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Steve,
A 3 day trip in the canyon would be a mistake. You simply can't enjoy the grand in 3 days.

I suggest that you look at cataract canyon. Some people do it in as short a 3 days. You get huge rapids, cool scenery and won't be too rushed.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #5

Palisade, Colorado
there have been some awfully fast trips down the Grand...you guys could go big and try to beat this guys record...get famous, make a movie, book deals...READ THIS ARTICLE.

http://www.mountaingazette.com/article/528
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #6

Hi,

I swamped a kayak support trip once on an S-rig, and it was 12 days long, in order to let the folks play all they wanted.

Three day GC trips probably translate into going from Diamond down. Problem is, Diamond Creek is mile 225 and by 238, you're completely done with the whitewater -- 232 being the last really interesting rapid in my view. From there to within about five miles of the takeout it's moving water, with only one other small rapid at about 277.

You could get half of a commercial trip in for 4-5 days. But the pace
wouldn't be amenable to doing more then jumping off the S-rig, running the rapid, and climbing back on to ride to the next rapid -- little or no play time. And that would entail a hike either in or out at Phantom Ranch. The outfitter might take your gear all the way, but none of this would come cheap. Particularly if you didn't have a corresponding group of people to take the other half of the trip you weren't going to be on. The outfitter would essentially have to sell you a whole trip (at full trip cost) and then dead-head whichever half you weren't using.

I think Cat would be a very viable option, but that is only one day of whitewater out of 4, more or less. So there's a different kind of drawback. But Cat permits are relatively easy to get, and depending on when you want to go on the Grand, booking might already be a problem -- even if the logistics could be solved.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA

Join Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association at Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association
Click on "Join", and support active, ongoing private boater
representation on Grand Canyon issues. And follow GC issues on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcpba/messages
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #7

I remember a cat trip once where a commercial trip came blasting down canyon in a zodiac. Apparently, they would run all the way down to Hite in a day, then fly the customers back to Moab at the end of the day. The 1-day cat trip was their schtick. I wonder if they're still around. Maybe you could work something out with them! Not my kind of trip, but if you've only got 3 days...
alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #8

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by peak View Post
there have been some awfully fast trips down the Grand...you guys could go big and try to beat this guys record...get famous, make a movie, book deals...READ THIS ARTICLE.

http://www.mountaingazette.com/article/528
Thanks for pointing out the article Peak............a most excellent read.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #9

Vail, Colorado
Awesome!! Thanks for the Beta everyone. I have checked into funds and they are pricey for such a mellow trip. Though I don't really care for the mellow there are quite a few people going on the bachelor party trip that have never been in a raft.

It sounds like Cat. might be the best bet. We took an end of the year trip on it when I was guiding and I never really tought of it. The best man is looking to me for some guidence and I am looking to the great people of the buzz to fill in the gaps that I haven't thought about.

Again, thanks for the Beta...... you cats are helpful.

Stevesie
Old 07-02-2015   #10

Scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Hi,

there are more option available to raft in the grand canyon.
Check it out here: ADMIN NOTE: SPAM LINK FOR GC OUTFITTER REMOVED

Regards
AGCrafting is offline   Reply With Quote