Beta on Great Falls, MT - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-13-2010   #1

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Beta on Great Falls, MT

Very seriously looking at a school opportunity in GF, anyone there or near there that can enlighten me on the boater scene, ski scene, beer scene, real estate scene, or general fun scene there? Never been, but I loved Missoula when I visited for a week... Pleeez help...?

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010   #2
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ok...my thoughts on Great Falls. Its nothing like Missoula in geography or culture, not to say that is bad. Never lived there, but when I grew up it was where my mom took me to do our before school shopping. My brother now lives about 60 Miles northwest of there.

So here is what I know. Its actually wheat country and more plains like than mountainous. Think central Canada and just as cold in the winter. You are fairly close to the mountains though, like hour/hour and a half. The town is primarily an agricultural hub with an airforce base. It will likely seem redneck in comparison to Colorado, think Grand Junction. Good pheasant hunting if thats your thing.

Skiing in that area is mom and pop type ski areas "Showdown" and "Great Divide". These are not your Colorado type ski areas, no big chutes no big bowls. Probably still people skiing in jeans like when I grew up. Showdown is ok, but you don't really have any advanced terrain. Not sure what Great Divide is like, never skied there, but the map looks good. Bridger and Big Mountain are within three hours drive, both great. If you like back country, my guess is there is some incredible stuff to be skied within two hours.

Kayaking, no clue, but your on the plains. There is a "Great Falls", I guess the run out is class II with some play. I would recomend looking for a Montana boating forum to ask questions. My thoughts would be that if your a creeker, you could find some great stuff in the surrounding mountain ranges. American Whitewater shows some good things on the Dearborn River about an hour west. Regular boating you would need to drive for. In Montana a three hour drive is considered a short drive though, so get use to road trips. You may have to train your own future boating partners.

Real estate in Montana will seem cheap, with lots of good options. Food, go to Jakers for ribs. Not sure on bar seen. Nice thing about Montana is people are very freindly and helpful.

Beer in Montana is awesome!!! Lots of good microbrewerys. Three pint max though by State law, but you can leave with as many growlers as you want.

If something like Missoula is what you want, I don't think you'll like it. But if you keep an open mind it may be decent. It will not feel like you are in the mountains, so prepare for that. I grew up in eastern Montana, and despite that I still think its a great place to live. I went to school in Missoula and loved it. More like the pacific northwest than the rest of Montana though.
Old 03-13-2010   #3

Jacksonville, Oregon
Three pints? That's it? Forget it.

Naw, just kiddin. Lookin' at dental hygiene school there. Good food for thought. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What are you looking for?

All I can think of right now is that most people like Great Falls in their rearview mirror.
Old 03-15-2010   #5
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
May try and contact the creators of this blog for info
http://www.montanaeddyhop.blogspot.com/.

Montana is a small state population wise, so if you live in the state the likelyhood is you know someone in each major community. I think Ihow is from the Bitteroot area. If I lived there I would think most other places in Montana suck too. The rearview mirror analogy may be good, but I have never spent enough time in the community to get a true feel for it. It may be worth a call to Northern Lights outdoor store out of Bozeman. I think the paddling shop is at "The Barn". Someone there is likely to have more beta on paddlers, websites etc., or at least you hope they would.

Old 03-15-2010   #6

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Great Falls isn't that bad. It's more conservative than Missoula, way way more. There is a lot of great fishing on the Missouri near there. For the most part, the inflatable boat community rides down sections of the Missouri on pool toys, innertubes and the trusty Odyssey bucket boat. It's not too bad a location to be since you've got the Smith River close by, also several tributaries of the Missouri that aren't too challenging but very scenic. It's a great place to be if you're into upland bird, waterfowl and antelope hunting. There are some decent bars there but not that many young people, especially when compared to Missoula.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #7

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
I used to live in Helena,which is an hour and half south of Great Falls. The previous post is spot-on about the lack of young people outside of Missoula and Bozeman. The social scene wasn't very much fun during my year spent there. It's also one of the coldest areas in Montana also. The record low for the lower 48 was something like 50 below zero. However, the mountains are reasonably close, and the scenery along the Rocky Mountain Front is world class. The chinook winds will also help moderate the temperatures to an extent. I know a couple of very serious class V-type boaters in Helena, and I could pass on their info in a PM if you're interested. Don't know of any paddlers in GF, but these guys run stuff all around. Falls Creek (V) and the North Fork Blackfoot IV(V) river are reasonably close. I've never run Falls Creek, but I hear it's a lot of fun.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #8

Jacksonville, Oregon
Right on, -k-, Marco, and Outlaw... I highly appreciate the ideas and the bits of info for us to get somewhat of a picture of Great Falls painted. Since we could be committing to 2+ years there, we wanted to get something of an idea what the town is like in general. Have to be able to tolerate the folks and make a few friends here n' there, plus find a few haunts for coffee, brews, and weekend stress-relief on skis/oars/paddles.

Any more info like this would be hugely helpful!!!
Old 03-17-2010   #9

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Got a buddy Bob who lives in Great Falls, great gut who I have run the lochsa with. Tons of fun and a serious paddler. I can PM you his phone # if you want. He's always looking for more paddlers to join in.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #10

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
While I was in Helena there were times that I couldn't wait to move back to Colorado. Now that I'm back in Colorado, I'd love to move back to Montana. I think that where you want to live has a lot to do with the stage of life that you're in. I was younger when I lived in Helena and couldn't yet appreciate what Montana has to offer. Now that I'm older, I'd love to live there (not saying Great Falls specifically). Great Falls is way up there and kind of on it's own. You're not likely to find the town that exciting, but you're in a unique position to see a lot of stuff that most folks can't ever dream of seeing. For example, you're not far at all from Glacier / Waterton National Parks. You're not too far from the Canadian Rockies either. The Middle Fork Flathead wilderness run just became a lot easier to do when you're next door to it. If you get sick of Great Falls, Missoula's not that far away. Think of Great Falls as a base from which to do all those things in the great North that you would otherwise never have enough time off work to do. I always look back on those days as being some of my best opportunities for exploration. Hope this helps.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote