Beta on creekers - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2005   #1

Marine Biologist
Beta on creekers

I am in the market for a creeker. I am 6' and 195lbs. Is the Dagger CFS a good creeker? What do people recommend? I have a LL Airhead for trade as well, but I'm in Oregon and won't be back in Colorado until December. Any suggestions/beta/personal prefernces for creekers for my size? Thanks,

|(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005   #2

Marine Biologist
98 views and no one can tell me if they like the CFS or prefer something else for a 6" 195 lber?
Old 06-30-2005   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Lots of people love the CFS, it's actually a good boat for tall people and you can pick one up super cheap since the Nomads. Pro: boofs really well and is perfect for the lower volume steep stuff. Con: slow and it needs to be paddled aggressively or you'll get your ass handed to you, "hole bait". My personal favorites in creek boats have been the Embudo and the Gus.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2005   #4

Marine Biologist
how about the riot big gun? Anyone recommend this boat more highly?
Old 06-30-2005   #5

I'm about 6'1" and 225lbs. and I love my Riot Big Gun. It's deffinitely slow, but if you're new to the creeking scene it's a good choice. They're super-stable and you can get a good used one pretty cheap. Plus the stowage compartment has already come in very handy and I'cve only had the boat about a month.
GagePLoungin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #6

cfs? I'd go for Nomad 8.5

I have the Nomad 8.1 and am selling an Nomad 8.5- try dagger.com and see what they suggests for weight and height- But i am pretty sure it would be perfect. Nomad a Cadillac Creeker- this one close to new-if you are interested give me a call 970-923-9509- shipping boats has gotten cheaper and we could get it to ya quick.
nkellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #7

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Maybe I'm different, ok that's a given, but I $&%#ing HATED the Big Gun. Worst paddling purchase of my life. The year spent with that boat was the only year I have regressed in paddling ability. I went from a Prijon Rockit, and bought the big gun in its first year out, then bought the Embudo the next year and saw the light. Watch the originol No Big Names, typicaly the guys in the Embudos have clean lines and the guys in the Big Guns are getting hammered. my 2 cents = I would buy a CFS any day over a Big Gun.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #8

Denver, Colorado
I'll agree with Badkins on two points here; 1) you gotta paddle the CFS aggresively or you'll get your ass handed to you, and 2) he is "different", you'll find no arguments there

I've got about a dozen days in the CFS (front range stuff) since my Gradient broke, and it's really starting to grow on me. The Salto was better than OK, but only have about 6 days (North CA) in one. One day in a Rocker (NF Salmon) and really liked it, right out of the box comfy predictable, same with the M3 (Green NC). But the M3 has too many parts (>200?, and there were always nuts and bolts rolling around inside!), and I've seen some cracking problems on the chine on 3 boats, bummed cause I loved that boat. A day in a Gus (Box, upper Sac), it was quick but quirky (I hear it takes about 20 days to get used to) and I felt like my legs were too straight. A day in an 8.1 Nomad (SSV) and I couldn't catch an eddy (odd since I had no prob's with a Gradient!), I should have tried the 8.5 for my H/W, though it could have been the hangover. Now I'm mid-season, still borrowing my little brother's CFS and no idea what I'm going to buy either. But my experience with the Gradient tells me you can get used to just about any boat over time and learn to make it dance.
5'11", 175lb, Strikingly Handsome

-d
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #9

What is it about the CFS that hands you your ass???

I am wondering cuz we got my G/F one cuz it is easy to roll and stable to learn in and I was thinking of using it to learn to creek in down the road.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #10

El Jefe.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote