beta on arizona and new mexico creeks - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-25-2007   #1

beta on arizona and new mexico creeks

i am going crazzy and need to get some paddling in. i was wondering if any one new anything about creeks in new mexico or arizona that run in the winter. I know of fossil creek wondering if any one has any idea if it is worth checking out right now. if any one has any info on creekin to the south that would be awsome!

Dano the mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007   #2

As the locals down in NM will let ya know.....nada til spring. April at the earliest, except for maybe the upper box. It is cold and snowy down there - which is a blessing given last year's drought and the reason there will be spring run off. Let it snow, let it snow.

To preview the goods check out Atom's vid on NM creeks - Funnel.
moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #3

Re: beta on arizona and new mexico creeks

Fossil is a little low but lots of fun. We ran it last weekend...nothing here in NM like mentioned before.
Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano the mano
i am going crazzy and need to get some paddling in. i was wondering if any one new anything about creeks in new mexico or arizona that run in the winter. I know of fossil creek wondering if any one has any idea if it is worth checking out right now. if any one has any info on creekin to the south that would be awsome!
perropirana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007   #4

Just curious because I'm thinking about making a long weekend trip down that way this spring or summer, what's the difficulty of Fossil like? Are there any other good runs in the area we could use to round out the weekend? What's the season to be there? Over the years I haven't really heard that much about the boating in that area. Thanks.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I live in Arizona and have been to Fossil Creek quite a few times. The flow there is usually about 43 CFS- it is barely runnable. You pretty much scrape your way down and there areonly 2 waterfalls. You also have to hike your boat 45 minutes to the put-in at the 20 foot waterfall. I live 2 hours away and the only time I have driven out there is in the middle of winter when there is nothing else to run. I don't think it would be worth a trip to AZ by itself. The Salt river usually starts running in March if we get enough snow on the White Mountains, which we don't have much of yet. But if your going to AZ, wait till March so you could run the Salt and Fossil Creek before stuff starts running in CO.
Old 01-29-2007   #6

I agree, if you can run fossil and the salt, that would be much better. The only reason I went there from Albuqueruque is because we wanted something else to do. Driving that road in the snow was more exciting. I still think that it is worth the trip.
Later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverchick
I live in Arizona and have been to Fossil Creek quite a few times. The flow there is usually about 43 CFS- it is barely runnable. You pretty much scrape your way down and there areonly 2 waterfalls. You also have to hike your boat 45 minutes to the put-in at the 20 foot waterfall. I live 2 hours away and the only time I have driven out there is in the middle of winter when there is nothing else to run. I don't think it would be worth a trip to AZ by itself. The Salt river usually starts running in March if we get enough snow on the White Mountains, which we don't have much of yet. But if your going to AZ, wait till March so you could run the Salt and Fossil Creek before stuff starts running in CO.
perropirana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona