Best White Wine? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2009   #1

., .
Best White Wine?

Yesterday, we had the best red box wine thread. Black Box Cab was the overall winner. What is your favorite white box wine? I like Fish Eye Pinot Grigio. Unfortunately, I live Utah and the state chooses my slim pickings. Our DABC is ran by a Mormon and I assume he's not much of a wino.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009   #2

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Not exactly a white wine crowd, it seems. Start a thread on the best whisky for the river and you'll get hundreds of posts.

Nonetheless, I happen to have some Black Box Chardonnay and some Fish-Eye Pinot Grigio in the house and it's a good excuse.

The Black Box Chardonnay (c. $24) is an oaked-up mother. California style. Too much so for me. Doubt I'll get it again.

Fish Eye Pinot Grigio is snappy stuff (I keep a box for cooking). It's good really cold, acid with a steely whang. Took it on a trip or two: it wasn't popular.

The Fish Eye Chardonnay (also easy to find on sale for $12) works better for me as an all-around white. River food that goes with white wine is often spicy— Thai or hot BBQ— and goes better with a Riesling. I've tried a few— okay, but no imprints so far.

Bota Box Chardonnay was pronounced "weak and timid" by the Wolf Goddess on Deso last fall. I thought it was okay, but almost any sort of drink seems okay on the river.

Aussie whites are less oaked and brighter— Banrock Station comes to mind. If the Kiwis start loading NZ sauv-blanc in a box, I'll buy a couple cases.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
Bota Box Pino Grigio has been known to pack a mean hangover, not that this is a unique feature for fermented grape products.

On an unrelated topic, recent taste testing has confirmed that Makers Mark hits the mark once again. Delicious!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
To duplicate NZ style Sauv Blancs on the river, simply add rubbing alcohol to grapefruit juice. God they are terrible compared to a nice Sancerre. I know some people love them, but short of a pure Pinotage that tastes like licking an ashtray that is my least favorite wine I can think of.

I haven't found a boxed white I like very much, but the Fisheye Chard seems like the ebst of a bad lot. Big tannin filled wines seem to withstand boxes better than more delicate whites.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #5

SE, Wyoming
You have a profound ignorance of NZ wine— ever had Saint Clair Sauv Blanc?

In any event, I'd buy Sancerre in a box. F-ing right! Somebody should tip off the French about the river market.
Old 04-08-2009   #6

., .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
You have a profound ignorance of NZ wine— ever had Saint Clair Sauv Blanc?
Agreed! Kim Crawford is a good one. MATUA is good for the price.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Yes, i've had St Clair and nearly every other New Zealand Sauv Blanc available in the US. I have lots of Kiwi colleagues that keep trying to convert me and I try not to give up on anything. Like I said, I know some people love them and there is nothing wrong with that, but I find it mostly all to be much too acidic and fruit forward for my palate. I much prefer an austere flinty and minerally sauv blanc with only very subtle citrus, which the good Sancerres do beautifully. Tastes differ, especially when the profoundly ignorant are making a joke.

If only Pascal Jolivet boxed their wine!
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #8

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Would Boone's Farm count as white wine?

That was the last white wine I purchased for a camping/float trip in Merlin Or, and I was underage. Couldn't tell you the flavor. But that fact that I bought it made it memorable.

It did not taste good, but ladies love the Boone's Farm, at least they did back in 1993. My Girlfriend was super impressed. Maybe I should bring home a bottle tonite?
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #9

SE, Wyoming
Get a bottle of Boone's Farm and one of Sancerre, then let her pick.

But maybe we should limit our proceedings to the stuff that comes in boxes or cans.
Old 04-09-2009   #10
Come and open the gate

denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
On an unrelated topic, recent taste testing has confirmed that Makers Mark hits the mark once again. Delicious!

oh is this thread supposed to be about wine?
stribtw is online now   Reply With Quote