Best way to store a drytop? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-22-2005   #1

Best way to store a drytop?

What is the best way to store a drytop so that the gaskets stay in good condition? I treated mine with 303 and threw it in the closet and now it seems that the gaskets are starting to get gooey if you know what I mean. They're definitely not dry but they feel like they would tear easily. Should I put some baby powder on them or what?

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005   #2

Not really sure why your gaskets would get "gooey" unless they were old and near disintegration, or you might have some very old 303. I think the baby powder and gooey gaskets would make a bad situation even worse. I usually treat my top with a cool water soak and rinse, 303 treatment, and hang it in the closet on a fat wooden hanger until March (that is, unless, I hit Shoshoni on New Year's day!).
gard_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Same plan for mine but to be just a bit more anal about it I follow the recommendations of Kokatat and 303 the gaskets monthly. I do this during the winter as well due to the amt of dryness in most Colorado houses during the winter.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005   #4

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Maybe I'm just lucky or have some kind of superpowers (more likely) but I've never 303d anything and have never had a gasket problem. My drytops stay out in the shed in my paddle bag. This has led me to make the personal, and possibly erroneous, conclusion that 303 is a waste of money. Take it with howevery many grains of salt you wish.
Old 11-22-2005   #5

Ya, not sure why they're "gooey". The gaskets on one of my buddy's drytops disentegrated into a gooey mess during the offseason once and I just don't want that to happen to mine. I think it may just be built up 303, I've used a lot. I probably just need to give them a good washing and a light coat of 303.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #6

I use to never treat my gaskets and they seemed to last a long time. Then I started to treat them regularly with 2001, 303, Armoral, or whatever I had laying around. I seemed to blow out a gasket about once every year or two. I just chocked it up to poor quality gaskets.

About a month ago I bought a new stohlquest drytop and read the instructions. The care instructions said that Armoral type stuff actually eats latex and will make it brake down faster (turn into goo). Normally I'd be like "ya right they just want me to buy their product so they can make more money off of me," but there wasn't even a mention of what you should use. It just said don't use armoral type stuff or something like that. Now that I think about it, the more it treated my gaskets the shorter their life.

So is 303 different from all the other stuff you spray on your car dash, or is it basically the same sort of stuff? I think I'm going to use that seal saver from now on to be safe.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Unless you have BSOE's superpowers, use 303 and use it often. It will not disintegrate your gaskets. My previous drytop dry rotted due to not being lubed, the new jackets gaskets still look new with the 303 usage.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #8

Duhrango
303 is a water based protectant and Armorall is petroleum based. That explains it all... stay away from Armorall for latex.
Old 11-22-2005   #9
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I've seen brand new ones rot in the store

because of Neon type lights. The best way to store it is to boat all winter.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #10

Ahhhhhhh
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote