Best Tandem Inflatable Kayak for Camping Trips - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-22-2009   #1

Best Tandem Inflatable Kayak for Camping Trips

I am looking for a tandem inflatable kayak under $1000 suitable for a week-long camping trip. I have been looking at sites such as Canoe and Kayak Product Reviews - Canoes, Kayaks, and Accessories and Best Inflatable Boats and Kayaks Reviews & Buying Guide but still can't decide on the best brand and model. What have you used? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

KevinDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009   #2

Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
"Week-long" is the key - 1 person or 2?

There aren't a whole lot of tandem inflatable kayaks that can carry enough gear for 2 (I am assuming you are taking another along with you) plus 2 passengers, but they do exist - but they are hard to find under $1K. You need to decide what sort of conditions you will be using this boat in: white water, flat water, or mix of both.

The AIRE Super Lynx will easily do what you are asking, but the price tag is higher than $1000. These can handle some milder white water, as well as function quite well on flat water. Be aware that you can get one 20% off an '09 Super Lynx right now as they are having end of year clearance to get rid of the remaining stock of '09's and make room for the '10's. $1199 is a smokin deal on an new SL, they are typically $1500. Check them out at The Boat People:
Used Whitewater Boats And Accessories

AIRE also makes an Inflatable Canoe (the Traveler) which will hold even more gear than the Super Lynx, but is not as streamlined.

SOAR makes a nice inflatable canoe as well that can hold a ton of gear as is very well-respected, but they are pricey as well.

I would tell you to watch for a good used AIRE product, or bite the bullet and get a discounted Super Lynx right now - they hold their value very well.
rising.sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
tandem and gear for a week? go Soar 16, you'll need another $650 though, you won't be sorry. I had a chance to paddle one last year and they are nice and hold a ton of gear.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009   #4

Tandem Kayak

Thank you for your suggestions everybody. I have until spring to figure this out!
KevinDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDU View Post
Thank you for your suggestions everybody. I have until spring to figure this out!
I second the recommendation of the Aire Super Lynx. I have a friend who uses it for self support trips a lot. We saw 2 groups of self support duckie folks on the Middle Fork Salmon in September. They were in Aire Lynx and Aire Tributary duckies. The Tributary is Aire's lower priced line. I don't have any direct experience with them as far as durability.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I think I missundertood, do you want a tandem for 2 people plus gear or you only plus gear. If you only, go with the Aire. if 2 people, SOAR 16
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable tandem kayak, kayaking