Best State for Whitewater? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-08-2008   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
Best State for Whitewater?

Just wondering, how does Colorado rank for whitewater compared to other states? I know there are a lot of factors to consider, but is there a site that ranks the states for whitewater access?

Red West is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I guess it depends on what kind of whitewater you want access to. If you want wilderness multi-day raft trips, then low. Accessible roadside day trips-high, low volume technical creeks-high(?), high volume "big water" low, freestyle/play opportunities- ??. Paddling community-awesome.

I've done 99% of my boating in Colorado, so maybe someone better traveled than me could give a better answer.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #3

California
ballbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Cali, no question about it. Hood River alone would make Oregon way closer to 2nd then CO would ever be.
PaulGamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #5

Having spent the last three years in Oregon, I am biased but that is my vote. Lots of multi-day options, varying levels of day trips, lots of remote runs, and best of all it runs almost year round. California and Washington are fun as well but you can access both of them from Oregon so i'll stick with that decision.
Recently moved to Colorado and started kayaking so my priorities may change soon.
Geoff773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
ive got 5 generations of colorado in me but even I have to give props to the Pac NW- Wash, OR, or BC.....the water is cold and the weather sucks but there is an abundance of quality year round water, and when everything is in season there is way more runs than colorado could ever dream of having.....

california just has a lot of acreage which = more runs, sorry, science doesnt lie......but i dont think it has the season like the pac nw
Old 09-08-2008   #7

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Cali all the way.

Colorado born and raised...California is the bitchinest. There was never a weekend when we didn't have options for running stuff.

but this discussion will rage on...
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Pac NW. Mostly from the year round perspective. Their"down time" is summer. Seasonal is all relative.
Old 09-08-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
ive got 5 generations of colorado in me but even I have to give props to the Pac NW- Wash, OR, or BC.....the water is cold and the weather sucks but there is an abundance of quality year round water, and when everything is in season there is way more runs than colorado could ever dream of having.....

california just has a lot of acreage which = more runs, sorry, science doesnt lie......but i dont think it has the season like the pac nw
Yeti, why the fuck are you always talking about shit you know nothing about??? Everyone knows you have never paddled any of those places. Relax and just boat, son. One day, if you have actually gotten out there, you may have an opinion worth posting.

The acreage of Cali does NOT have much to do with the quality...Why TF doesn't Texas have the sickest WW if its all size?
It's the geology, steady vertical rise, climate zone, precip patterns etc...
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #10
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yeah, just because i havent paddled there doesnt mean i havent BEEN there.....

just relax and quit trying to feel big and manly and one day you wont be such a wannabe kato, bro