Best solvent for kayak repair? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-05-2015   #1

SLC, Utarr
Paddling Since: 08
Best solvent for kayak repair?

Hey all. Got a curve ball for ya.

A buddy patched a large crack in his Superstar with 2-3 layers of Grace Ice and Water Shield, the tacky super sticky roof membrane roofers put down before nailing down shingles. Does an excellent job of keeping water out and taking a good deal of abuse from rocks before leaking.

I bought the boat, as I'd just finally worn through my Dagger Kingpin and wanted to update my playboat choice. A coworker has a professional plastic welding setup so if I can get this stuff off the boat I can work with him on welding it into great shape.

Acetone, Mineral Spirits, Goof off? Some other solvent?

Roofers Supply was oddly nonplussed and clueless on what would be the best solvent for taking this material off.

themechanicnotthetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
MEK. I used it to remove a small patch of bituthene from a canoe, came right off. MEK is also what I use to prep plastic prior to welding, and it should be prepped. Plastic bonds with grease and oils and if you don't strip it clean it will contaminate the weld. Rubbing alcohol is not sufficient.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #3

Ice & Water is gnarly. In the construction world, we don't remove it. I suggest getting in cold (colder the better) and pull off what you can. Next use an orbital sander to get of the big chucks. Finish with whatever is the most aggressive solvent that doesn't fuck up the plastic.

It will be messy and not work real well. I have no idea how it will affect the weld.
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015   #4

SLC, Utarr
Truly most gnarl, yes. I roofed for only 4 months but yep I've never seen any of it peeled off. And the residue is exactly what I was concerned about removing as fully as possible. Sticks to your boat better than a swimmer on Staircase.

The MEK looks downright... um... exciting. Where does one aquire MEK, o sage monkey of water?
Old 11-05-2015   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Getting a little hard to find the real stuff, as places like Ace Hardware are selling an MEK substitute, but better paint supply stores should have it. And every now and then i do see the real stuff on hardware store shelves. I have no idea what the substitute stuff is. I hoard the real stuff like a doomsday prepping redneck stores freeze dried food and AR15 ammo.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #6

SLC, Utarr
heavens. . . rednecks in CarBahnduhlay? Round up the wife and kids! Head for the hills! But throw yoga mats and chakras at them first..