Best river runner/playboat - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2014   #1

Atlanta, Georgia
Best river runner/playboat

Hi all. I am fairly new to kayaking and am looking to move from inflatables to a hard shell. What boat would y'all recommend for some beginner play boating that can still get me down river fairly quickly on my longer trips. I will probably buy used but there are so many choices Id like to know what to look for. Thanks!

Mab86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014   #2

Arcata, California
Paddling Since: 2013
Bliss stick rad is a sweet boat that plays well and guy do some gnarly stuff with them.
Giarc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Jackson Fun, Wavesport Fuse, Pyranha Varun - most brands will have the river play/free runner design. Some are even going a more retro route like the Loki or Axiom for the old school play and more of a downriver boat. Look for something in the last ~5 years as I think the outfitting has come a long way. Other than that make sure you fit comfortably and try and get a few on the water/pool to get a feel for them.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014   #4

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Play/river runner

If you want to go short, the funs and older Stars are hard to beat for a play/ rr combo, as long as you are OK with the JK outfitting which really is not bad.

If you want something longer but a little restrictive in the play category, meaning it will allow only surfing, and squirting, get the RPM series.They are easy to roll, run rivers easily, you can get them cheaper than their modern counterparts. Their only drawback is the primitive outfitting but you can easily modify that to fit you..
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #5

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Dagger kingpin

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #6

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
For a more stable river runner that surfs fast glassy waves great check out the Jackson Zen. If you want a modern version of the RPM that is more playful than the Zen check out the Fun Runner. Fast and squirts well. If you really want to focus on vertical and arial play look into an All Star or Rock Star. The best playboats out there.

Each step above needs a bump in skill and confidence but can be very rewarding and fun. I really like paddling playboats (2014 Rock Star) on most runs class IV and under. Mixing river running/play/surfing in a boat like this can be a hoot. You will roll a lot but having a fast playboater combat roll will help all aspects of your paddling no mater what boat you are in. Just don't bits off too much too fast and get in a bad situation or swim. I focus on hard moves on easy water. As you get better boat control and confidence your interpretation of what is hard change. Most of all paddle a lot and have fun.

peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #7

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
2008 Jackson Allstar, wave sport EZ, pryhanna S6. . . I like all these boats for river play. Some of the daggers look fun too
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterholcombe View Post
For a more stable river runner that surfs fast glassy waves great check out the Jackson Zen. If you want a modern version of the RPM that is more playful than the Zen check out the Fun Runner. Fast and squirts well. If you really want to focus on vertical and arial play look into an All Star or Rock Star. The best playboats out there.

Each step above needs a bump in skill and confidence but can be very rewarding and fun. I really like paddling playboats (2014 Rock Star) on most runs class IV and under. Mixing river running/play/surfing in a boat like this can be a hoot. You will roll a lot but having a fast playboater combat roll will help all aspects of your paddling no mater what boat you are in. Just don't bits off too much too fast and get in a bad situation or swim. I focus on hard moves on easy water. As you get better boat control and confidence your interpretation of what is hard change. Most of all paddle a lot and have fun.

... so who do you boat for?
Old 04-26-2014   #9

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
... so who do you boat for?

There are certainly lots of great options. I am partial to JK.

peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote