Best plastics - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2013   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2013
Best plastics

Hello everyone. I am new to kayaking and am researching into the durability of brands. I am leaning toward Pyranha, but a Liquid Logic salesman says the plastic is junk and will crack and because there is no stateside factory here for Pyranha, warranty is a nightmare. Internet searches confirm Pyranha cracks. Liquid Logic research finds very few complaints of cracking. What suggestions might anyone have?

Yoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013   #2

Fort Collins
I suspect all manufactures have trouble boats from time to time, but I think you can trust the major players: liquid logic, Jackson, fluid, dagger, wavesport, and even pyrhana. If you do a search, you can find lots of "my plastic is better than your plastic" posts. I think 'LL and Jackson are known for their exceptional customer service. Get a comfortable used boat, probably a rivers runner for starting, and go have fun.
Enjoy, it is great!

Also for warranty fun, see below:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...oat-46049.html
Old 01-12-2013   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Never listen to a salesman whose method is disparaging the competition. Stand on the merits of your own product.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013   #4

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
If you are new to the sport, any kayak should be strong enough. No need to worry about breaking a boat. If and when you get to the level where your backyard becomes a boat graveyard, the only boat that is noticeably stronger would be a prijon. All boats break.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #5

golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
plastics 101

Prijon has the strongest plastic. It's blowmolded and is mega expensive to work with. LL, Wavesport, and Dagger all use the same plastic--which is the Muelstein 337 Superlinear. Jackson has now switched all our WW boats to a new Schulmann O-resin superlinear, which outperforms the Muelstein in the labs. Only time will tell how it holds up longer-term, but the team (myself included) has had great results with it so far. The original cross link that JK used for it's first 5 years in business was awesome, but it's no longer available.

I'd feel confident buying a new boat from any of the major companies on endurance and warranty....

BUT Jackson Kayak actually warranties USED boats with the same coverage as new ones. It's 3-year, pro-rated to anyone--meaning that the first year is a total replacement, 2nd year warranty is a low % cost replacement, and 3rd year is higher % cost replacement. The only thing that matters is date of original purchase (or maybe molding date for other purchasers...not sure). I don't think that any of the other companies do that, but I may be mistaken.

Hope that helps! Enjoy whatever you get, and welcome to the sport!!!
Stephen Wright
Jackson Kayak
stephenwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #6

Maryville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2010
I would get a fun by Jackson kayak... By far the best kayak I have ever used.
Myers2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #7

Denver,, exhaustion
your in colorado... our water levels are going to S#@% again... buy used if you are just starting.

I have had great results with fluid plastic but it finally broke... their warranty was the % type at least similar to Jackson's (i was very pleased anyway). Our crew last year broke 3 boats (2 fluids) the year before it was the Jacksons that broke... All that tried for warranties were very satisfied.

they all break here in colorado, buy what fits and what you paddle well.
Old 01-13-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Never listen to a salesman whose method is disparaging the competition. Stand on the merits of your own product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgeiser View Post
they all break here in colorado, buy what fits and what you paddle well.

I agree with both of these statements whole-heartily. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pyranha plastic. Everyone brags that their companies products are the best.... but in reality they are all comparable.

The one thing I would say about Pyranha's plastic is that it seems thinner, but in no way more prone to cracking. What I have found it that it actually dents in easier when piton'ed, but it is also easier to remove the dents. From my experience LL plastic may feel thicker, but upon heavy impact seems more brittle and prone to cracking..... just my .02 cents.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #9

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2013
Thank you all for the input. As a beginner, my intent is to go river kayaking/camping. My partner is looking to get LL XP10 and my preference was Pyranha Fusion 30, both are crossover kayaks. I think my biggest question is, due to Pyranha being a British company with no factories Stateside, is it as difficult to deal with Pyranha warranty as alot of forums suggest?

I am just weighing the pros/cons

Josh
Yoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a medium Fusion for multi-day trips and like it very much. I have a couple friends with the LL Remix XP's and they love them. I went in to CKS's warehouse the other day and checked out Wavesport's Ethos and it's extremely sweet.

I have went through several Pyranha kayaks and never had a warranty issue. They were all purchased locally through Colorado Kayak Supply who I know for a fact stands behind their products and will do everything they can to assist with warranty issues, so it has never been of concern to me.

That is a good question though. I would be interested to hear input from others who have had warranty claims with Pyranha.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote