Best place to rent an oar-rig for upper-C (pumphouse) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-02-2005   #1

Best place to rent an oar-rig for upper-C (pumphouse)

Where is the best place to get a raft oar-rig for a 2 day trip down the upper-Colorado? I'd be nice if it was between Denver and Kremmling for convenience. I'd also be nice if it didn't const too much. I really don't think it's worth $250 for a two day raft rental. Does anyone have one I could borrow for about $100 or possibly trade for something?

bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
AAA and Alpenglow Mountainsports are the only places I know of in the Denver area that rent rafts. Check with them. If you can find a stranger that'l let you borrow about $3K (VERY minimal replacement value) worth of oar rig gear for $100, all the better.

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
For $100, I'll let you borrow my Animas and you can tie that to your Cerro and that's a lot like a raft. You could use play boats for outriggers, too.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H.
If you can find a stranger that'l let you borrow about $3K (VERY minimal replacement value) worth of oar rig gear for $100, all the better.

--Andy
ahh, sarcasm...

renting is sickeningly expensive and good inspiration to just buy a boat.

There are places to rent livery type rafts for $50 a day... but not in colorado.

BOC123.com rents hysides up in boulder,as well.

also, remember you need to have a credit card to put a $3k or more deposit. I don't think they charge it until you steal it or lose the raft though.

Like i said...renting sucks! Buy a used one and you'll go more,too. and far less hassle.
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
First, Bigboater please accept my sincere apology for being sarcastic. Second, I don't mean anything negative or harsh about your abilities, sense of responsibility, or knowledge - I'm just stating something here that a lot of kayakers may not be aware of and that other rafters will agree with:

Many rafters are pretty particular even about letting someone they know rig their boat if they're not right there directing, much less loan a stranger their boat with all the gear that comes with an oar rig. There are lots of components to an oar rig, large and small, but usually expensive, to get lost or damaged.

Consider straps, for example. I've got about 15 straps that live on my oarframe and each one has a place and serves some purpose during a trip. Then there are about 15 - 20 more in the strap bag (nicely organized thanks to ZBaird's killer strap tree!) that can come out on overnight trips to lash gear into the boat. They each cost about $5 or $6 on average. It seems like its just a fact of life that after big trips you find a couple missing and sometimes there will even be one or two foreign ones in your gear, though they usually disappear - just like socks in the dryer but more costly to replace.

There are only a few folks that I'd want fully rigging or rowing my raft and they're mostly other rafters & even then only as a last resort. Once while preparing to launch I asked someone who I'd boated with plenty to undo the straps holding the boat to the trailer while I undid my side, then came around and discovered that the frame had also been undone. Another time I got to dress a 48-stitch wound because someone had set up the "pins and clips" oar towers on their friend's boat incorrectly.

I'm not trying to be harsh, just stating what I've seen.

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 08-02-2005   #6

Golden, Colorado
heh,heh,heh...AndyH, I thought your sarcasm was pretty damn funny personally and that you hit the nail on the head. I'd lend my raft to 3 people in the world...my dad, brother and a long time ,trusted friend of 15 years. That's it.

anyway,bigboater, good luck and hopefully you'll find some people to split the rental fees with.

And,bb, on buying a used raft... I'm on my 5th used raft now and when it came time to sell the first 4 I've always broken even or even made money on them even after a year or so of heavy use. Beats pissing away $250-700 a pop for extended trips, for sure. Something to think about,anyway.
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Yeah, my first couple of rafts were used, and I wouldn't recommend anything but a cheap used raft and gear for someone just getting into the lifestyle. Its just plain stupid to make an investment like that unless you've got more money than time to hunt the good bargains. With some luck as the season winds down, or next spring, you may be able to find a decent used SB with oars and frame for about $1,500 to $2K (then you'll spend another $500 on straps & other gear...). Check the swaps at the raft shops, Alpenglow's swap has lots of gear but usually the others only have used rubber. 14 foot's a good size for Colorado boating if you want to do overnights in style though lots of folks like smaller boats.

SYOTR,

--Andy
Old 08-03-2005   #8

Rafts for Sale

Gentlemen -
Oue entire fleet of demo rafts went on sale today. AIRE self bailing 14'3" & 16'5"'s for $2600 (rubber only) We also have 3 & 4 bay frames from DRE for $500-$600 as well as everything else you may need to rig her. They're this years rigs so minimal wear and tear and NO patches.

Mark
Alpenglow
303/277-0133
ALPENGLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Don't listen to Andy steer you towards a little boat. Unless you plan to paddle it down bony stuff with out gear alot, get a gear hauling pig. Mark said they have the Aire 16-5. I bet he means the 156. I think that is the smallest boat you should consider for hauling gear. I saw their stack a few weeks ago and they were in nice shape.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
now that the topic has changed to what size, dont listen to dave. he seems to have the need to haul mass amounts of shit even on small trips, hence his need for a pig. a 14' is the perfect all around for CO. it is small enough to be fun on the ark down low and big enough to run the grand if you get invited. sure you cant haul quite as much gear but man, a 16'er is heavy and really starts to suck on the ark at low water (sub 800) and is just flat out not as fun at any time unless you are running big shit ( grand, middlefork at flood etc.). you cant run clear creek, or anything small and it is a drag even in the numbers. if you want to run mainly long multidays with tons of gear go with a 16. if you want to run only small overnighters for 3 or 4 and mostly day trips go with a 12 or 14. most of the time i'd like to be in my 12'. without way overloading my 12' i can support a passenger and 4 or 5 kayaks on an overnight westy trip, and man is it fun as an r-2 raft as well. in my opinion we just dont have big enough water, or riverbeds here to facilitate the need for a 16'.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote