Best place to live for close whitewater access - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-30-2010   #1

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Best place to live for close whitewater access

Hi all,
So I will be looking for a place to move relatively soon. I am wondering if people had suggestions about cool towns that are close to paddling, have some good backcountry skiing, and have some fun cultural stuff going on.

On a related note, I was hoping to get some beta on the various WW parks throughout the West. I know very little about any of them. Which are really good? Which have designs that could use an update? Which offer a feature for the most flows?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks!
/Dylan

reyher85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010   #2

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
next to a river

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #3

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
You live in F'n Idaho,man. WTF
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010   #4

albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2
Knoxville TN, if you can deal with conservative culture. The boating is almost year round.
eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #5

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
I am living in Moscow, ID (not much paddling going on here). Going back to Boise is definitely on the radar. I was just thinking a new place would be good for a few years. As per "by a river," I guess I was wondering if people would be willing to elaborate on which rivers they lived by that were close to interesting towns.
Old 04-30-2010   #6

albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2
Knoville is 45 minutes from the smokies, 55 from the cumberland plateau about and about 2 from the Green and the Occoee. Don't forget the Cheoah and the Natahalla. There about 150 rivers and creeks that on a good year flow from December to March. Dam release season starts at the end march and usually ends in October.

I lived in Knoxville and was able to boat 3 days a week. Ashville would also be a good place to live if you want to run the green all year long, and are willing to drive a bit more.

The skiing sucks, so sell you sticks if you head down south. I left my snowboards in NM and did not regret it even once. BTW you might not like the culture if you are liberal.
eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #7

hood river
I dont live there, but the rumors are true. I never believed it till I actually saw it for myself. Year round boating on 4 classic rivers that literally flow into town. Class II-V+ year round. Less than a 15 minute drive to each. There are also thousands more rivers flowing year round within a short drive. Year round skiing at mt. hood. Surfing at the beach not far away. Close to california for granite sliding. No play park, but decent natural play on the white salmon. Multiple Breweries, wineries, and a whiskey distillery in town. It is the promised land.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
place to live

What is your idea of a cool town? We need more suspefics; what are your requirements for a life outside boat'n? nightlife, culture, Kentucky Fried Chicken? What about environment?
Old 04-30-2010   #9

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I always thought Boise was as good as it gets. Good weather. Plenty of semi-dam controlled stuff flowing directly towards town. Long season (for the West). Extended wilderness trips nearby. If you can drive 5 or 6 hours you have good stuff in every direction. Can't beat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyher85 View Post
Hi all,
So I will be looking for a place to move relatively soon. I am wondering if people had suggestions about cool towns that are close to paddling, have some good backcountry skiing, and have some fun cultural stuff going on.

On a related note, I was hoping to get some beta on the various WW parks throughout the West. I know very little about any of them. Which are really good? Which have designs that could use an update? Which offer a feature for the most flows?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks!
/Dylan
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #10

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by possumturd View Post
What is your idea of a cool town? We need more suspefics; what are your requirements for a life outside boat'n? nightlife, culture, Kentucky Fried Chicken? What about environment?
I guess I was trying to leave it as broad as possible so people can tell me what they like about their town. I was kind of looking at it as an opportunity to learn some stuff that I would not be able to get on the internet. Plus, I wanted to leave it broad so that other people, who maybe don't care about the same things as me (other than paddling/skiing of course) would find the thread useful.

Having said that, I am in law school and am also in water resources engineering, so it would be helpful if those sorts of pursuits are near by. Also, I do enjoy good beer, wine, whiskey, and food.

Tags
access