Best outfitting for Dancer - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2009   #1

Best outfitting for Dancer

I am still fairly new to river running and am having a hard time getting my roll when my instructor has me all the under by myself - I keep falling out of my boat when I attempt a sweep roll. I think the back band (foam block) is not keeping me in when I brace with my feet. not sure if adding more foam block at the back vs. back band is best.
any suggestions?

Erika Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to colopaddler
hey there, if you have any kind of an instructor at all -he/she should be able to give you the proper advise to get secured in the boat (such as where to glue foam blocks)-if not, you are paying him/her way too much money. remember that the Dancer is probably older than you-it was my 1st boat 20 years ago!!!! (smile) once you get a tight fit, the dancer is probably the easiest boat ever made to roll........cheers
colopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #3

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Boy I had a hard time getting out of the Dancer... Those cockpits were tiny. The boat should fit your hips, and with your feet on the pegs your thighs/knees should be snug in the thigh brace area. if your 'falling out' I'm guessing your thighs aren't using the thigh brace area. Try moving the foot pegs up so that you can 'wear' the boat in the thigh brace area. Find some foam and shape it/tape it in place.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009   #4

I would suggest the dumpster!! I have an RPM you can have that is 10 years newer but still over 10 years old. You will be surpised how much more comfortable and supportive boats have gotten over time. Nothing wrong with vintage gear though if it works for ya!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
I would suggest the dumpster!! I have an RPM you can have that is 10 years newer but still over 10 years old. You will be surpised how much more comfortable and supportive boats have gotten over time. Nothing wrong with vintage gear though if it works for ya!
I learned to paddle in a 13.5' open canoe! Technique, technique, technique, will make that thing work
(make sure u don't fall out of your seat!!)
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Hey now...
DON'T DIS THE DANCER
I used to video boat In WV out of a Dancer XT in the early 90s
It would throw huge endos
BTW Erica
Gule in some bigger blocks than you need then shave them down with a sureform till they fit
Better yet... just tape some hip pads in there for now because youll probably want a new boat before the glue dries
Old 01-24-2009   #7

the zoo, Montucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Hey now...
DON'T DIS THE DANCER
BTW Erica
Gule in some bigger blocks than you need then shave them down with a sureform till they fit
Better yet... just tape some hip pads in there for now because youll probably want a new boat before the glue dries

Ahhh the dancer... First boat I ever sat in. Didn't even wear a spray skirt, just ran it open. Now, granted, I was only boating class toddler.
Old 01-25-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
Thanks for the offer - I sent you aprovate msg as well. let's look into that to see if it's feasable depending on where you are located. I am going to try to give it one good last shot at outfitting.
Erika
Old 01-25-2009   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Hey now...
DON'T DIS THE DANCER
BTW Erica
Thanks! - what is a sureform and where can I buy one?
Old 01-25-2009   #10

THANK YOU

I appreciate everyone's help. it has made my direction lots easier!