Best level for Lunchcounter on the snake? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2010   #1

Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Best level for Lunchcounter on the snake?

Anyone know the ideal CFS for surfing Lunchcounter.
Anyone have a guess if its going to be in this weekend?

adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lunch counter is good at about any level the higher the level the bigger and glassier, Steve's is always in and always a good surf, really the only thing is the seal launch to get to it the lower it gets the higher the launch, not really a big deal but if you are not used to dropping 3-5ft into choppy surging water it can be a little unnerving, I'll be there in two wks but I don't know if I will be able to be on the water, I ruptured my ear drum on clear creek yesterday. Dr. says no water for four wks, I say ear plugs are a good thing. Have fun if you are gonna be in Jaskson, and go say hi to guys at Rendezvous River Sports. By the way the Hoback is a great river play run at these levels all kinds of stuff to have fun with.
wyohitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #3

7-10,000 is ideal for kayaks.

8-12,000 is ideal for surfboards.

We surfed the hell out of it Sunday on the SUP's for hours at 12,600 last sunday and it was super fun. Fingers in the glass. There is always good play on the Snake though at every level. Bring the board so you can do a few helix's and air screws in the boat, then jump on the board and carve the hell out of it.

You'll feel like this kid. Video: Kai Lenny - The new generation of watermen
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010   #4

Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Thanks all, a sup would be a good call.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #5

Ogden, Utah
It should be anywhere from 10,000 to 11,500 cfs this weekend. Enjoy.
We will be there on the 18th - 25th of this month. Mostly rafting since I am a giant sissy and have never kayaked below the West Table Boat Ramp. I am a newb what can I say, I can roll great in pools, lakes and small rivers but I can't get the gutts to do the whole thing. Every time I raft past the kayakers I get jealous at how easily you guys make it look.
Slangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
A bit off topic, but would you take a 7 year old down through Lunch Counter? We are heading up there this weekend and I was wondering if I should leave my boy behind or would it be safe enough for him to go through?

I am in a 16' maravia, I have taken him down Yampa, Deso and Green below the dam. He is in a perfect PFD with a crouch strap, dry suit and helmet.

Thanks
Alex
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #7

Ogden, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
A bit off topic, but would you take a 7 year old down through Lunch Counter? We are heading up there this weekend and I was wondering if I should leave my boy behind or would it be safe enough for him to go through?

I am in a 16' maravia, I have taken him down Yampa, Deso and Green below the dam. He is in a perfect PFD with a crouch strap, dry suit and helmet.

Thanks
Alex
I think if you set him in the middle of the boat you would be fine. At the flows they are at today I don't see you flipping your raft. Maybe pay extra close attention to him and as you are going through if you see anything go wrong where he might go out, you be sure you go out holding onto him.
Just my .02
Slangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1990
Everything above is correct. 7,000-13,000cfs is the range, but it depends on the boat/board you are using, and every year the gauge is a little different. It is always good to have a fast boat/board. The river seems to have leveled out around 12,000 cfs right now. It is super fun on a faster boat or board. Most folks are using longboards (9ft+) and old playboats like forplays. If it drops down below 11,000 all the fast short boards and spud boats will be good to go. The Crazy 88's, Allstar 08-10, Astro's, ZGs, Project's do really well. Good luck, have fun, call Rendezvous (307)733-2471 for water levels and more details.
Jacksonholekayak is offline   Reply With Quote