Best kayak for Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2006   #1

Best kayak for Grand Canyon

Anyone got any good advice for a suitable kayak for the Grand Canyon with good surfing capability and able to handle a little play-boating (author is the limiting factor here!) and not stuck for speed for the 226 miles we will be doing!

dan_ussher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006   #2

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Take a good playboat. Spud boats are still faster than oar rigs, and you can always climb up there and get out if you feel the need. You will be in the boat for 5-8 hours a day, so take something marginally comfortable. I took a G-Force, would do it again any day over a big boat. You want to be able to huck over those waves, esp. in a rapid like Hermit or Sapphire. Playboats melt through the big stuff, too. Go ahead and run that hole unless it's a keeper. YMMV

Lots of old threads on this if you run a search.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #3

After running the Grand many times at levels from 8,000 to 22,000, I've been on many fast, glassy, and not super steep waves. These are the zen surf waves of legend lurking within the canyon. To surf em something like a Necky Gliss, Riot Turbo, Pyranha 7-0 are good boats- comfortable,fast, but also playful enough to play on all the funky squirt eddies. There's plenty of chunky holes too, but IMO, the zen waves bro, the zen waves... have a great trip.
zular is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006   #4

Any boat that you are comfortable in for over two weeks will do just fine.

I took my Big EZ and loved it.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zular
After running the Grand many times at levels from 8,000 to 22,000, I've been on many fast, glassy, and not super steep waves. These are the zen surf waves of legend lurking within the canyon. To surf em something like a Necky Gliss, Riot Turbo, Pyranha 7-0 are good boats- comfortable,fast, but also playful enough to play on all the funky squirt eddies. There's plenty of chunky holes too, but IMO, the zen waves bro, the zen waves... have a great trip.
Great!! Thanks for this - gives me something to work on and even more to look forward to!
Old 10-11-2006   #6

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
The Prescription (Rx) from Dagger. Ben Horton just took one down while shooting photos for the Imax 3D film. He said it worked perfect. Surfed well, super comfortable, faster then a spud boat.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #7

Boulder, Colorado
i took my inazone 230 and it worked great. have fun on your trip
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #8

Actually, I would second that (as an unbiased paddler with no affiliation with Dagger). That would be a rippin' boat for the Grand. It'll play and huck off the waves and will be a better "zen surfer" than the super short and tiny modern aerial playboats. Though it's tough to beat the Pirhouette S or the RPM for zen surfers. By the way, zular, I really like that term it's the perfect description of it without knocking the awesome stuff we can do in todays playboats. Peace.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #9

Hey Dan, how is Sydney treating ya! When you coming over to run the GC? You coming up to Fort Collins to visit your fellow kiwi's??

Tim
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo
Hey Dan, how is Sydney treating ya! When you coming over to run the GC? You coming up to Fort Collins to visit your fellow kiwi's??

Tim
Hey Tim, great to hear from you man. Seedney great mate! Having a ball but a serious lack of water here does not make for good boating at all! Yes, I will be stopping over in Ft Collins to see the Kiwi ex-pats. Not sure whether it will be before or after trip (Oct 9th - 24th 2007). May even bring my MTB for a bit of Colorado biking which I hear is also pretty good. Drop me an email on [email protected]. Cheers ... Dan

Tags
kayaking