Best Inflatable kayaks for Whitewater Kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-09-2015   #1

Baltimore, Maryland
Best Inflatable kayaks for Whitewater Kayaking

Hi all, due to to the size of vehicle, and because of lack of storage, I am leaning toward buying an inflatable kayak. I believe that Advanced Elements has the best made kayaks based on what I have read, but I would like to see what everyone else thinks are good options. Right now, this is the one that I am leaning towards, so could anyone give me an opinion on what they think works best if I am going to go the inflatable route?

-thanks in advance

chesapeake4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015   #2

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
That does not look like a whitewater kayak. Notice the hull shape at the front. The write up on it does not point towards whitewater either.

I'm sure there will be more help to follow, but don't buy that.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #3

Seattle, Washington
Their whitewater line is rated up to class III. It is not a whitewater boat.

If you want a whitewater inflatable, get a real boat made with stronger fabric, seams, and valves. There are tons of great boats, they are all capable, and which you like best will come with experience more than performance differences.

Look at AIRE, Sotar, or NRS. Avoid the bathtub boats like a Hyside Padillac.

Personally I think the AIRE Lynx 1 is the best all around option, it can haul overnight gear or run the steeps.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015   #4

Baltimore, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Their whitewater line is rated up to class III. It is not a whitewater boat.

If you want a whitewater inflatable, get a real boat made with stronger fabric, seams, and valves. There are tons of great boats, they are all capable, and which you like best will come with experience more than performance differences.

Look at AIRE, Sotar, or NRS. Avoid the bathtub boats like a Hyside Padillac.

Personally I think the AIRE Lynx 1 is the best all around option, it can haul overnight gear or run the steeps.
Thank you, I will definitely look more into AIRE, Sotar, And NRS
Old 06-09-2015   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Lots of good IK's out there.

I have an Aire and think it is about as bombproof as it gets. Owned two Aire rafts for many years and never a bit of wear issues.

The first IK I purchased is a Thrillseeker. Mainly because Jimmi Snyder does steep West VA creeks in them. I will go out on a limb here and say it is the most responsive IK I know of. Close to the hardshell kayaks I paddled for decades. I think the difference is the hard shells have sharp edges to carve on while the IK's of course are soft. Attila stands behind his boats and I have not heard of wear issues. The Thrillseekers are single thickness of PVC and I like the bladder system used by Aire. But that is just my opinion.
There will be lots of feedback on this. My bet is any nationally advertised white water qualified IK is gonna work. Just be careful with the cheaper pool toys advertised as WW craft.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
What kind of kayaking are you looking to do?
3+ whitewater?
Booze cruise with friend on the Upper C?
Do you want to camp on it?

Might be worth checking out Pack Rafts too...
thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Chesapeake, what is your background? And what are your plans? If you are an experienced hardshell WW kayaker looking to run Class IV and V, you might want something different (Aire Force possibly) than a more casual boater. Are you wanting a day boat or a multi-day self-support boat? Want to take a passenger? Looking for best WW performance or good performance at a good price? I have an Aire Lynx I that I love; when my wife comes along, she likes the stability of the tandem Hyside Padillac -- largely because she has had successful experience in big water with that boat and so is comfortable with it..
I agree with the Aire, $otar, NRS suggestions, but there are differences among and within brands (don't forget Aire's Tributary brand -- that's the good buy).

EDIT: I was writing my post before I saw thaGoat's -- similar questions...
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #8

Baltimore, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaGoat View Post
What kind of kayaking are you looking to do?
3+ whitewater?
Booze cruise with friend on the Upper C?
Do you want to camp on it?

Might be worth checking out Pack Rafts too...
I am just looking for one for myself. I have gone on rafting trip before, but would like to just get something for myself. I looked around based on all of your suggestions and found this one and this one. Thanks again for all of your suggestions! It is definitely a little overwhelming since so many are out there!
Old 06-09-2015   #9

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
IK choice

I would lean towards the Tributary Strike. Its Aire's subsidiary brand with a shorter warranty, but lacks nothing in performance or quality for that matter. I feel its more agile than the Lynx. The other good one is the old Force XL for speed , agility and very good stability. Its only con is the lack of real rocker, with the resulting problem of big drop resurfacing if you are planning on that sort of thing.After paddling both of those quite a bit, I am paddling a Sevylor sk100ds, which is very good for upto 3+, but I think it would be a problem in anything above that unless you are quite skilled or very familiar with that section of water.
Its quality of build may also be inferior to Aire but its light, has a drop stitch floor and fits in my SUV fully inflated.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Based on your two latest choices:
Hard to go wrong with the Aire Lynx I.
If you are on more of a budget, Aire's Tributary Tomcat solo has a very good reputation -- also the Strike, but I have no experience with that one.
I know nothing about Advanced Elements, so will say nothing -- except to notice that no one here pointed you toward that brand (not so far anyway).
You told us it is just for you (not passenger) but nothing else about planned use.

This site has been useful in the past for an overview of some (have not been there lately):
http://www.theboatpeople.com/solo-wh...latable-kayaks
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking