Best Flows on the Ark? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2015   #1

Best Flows on the Ark?

Right now the Numbers are at 2300 and Browns at 2500 and the Gorge at 3000. It is so incredibly fun everywhere. I think these are the optimum levels. You? It has dropped a lot in the past 10 days which has opened up more opportunity for more folks to paddle on the Ark. It is funny to think that now at 2300 cfs that these "lower flows" are great.

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015   #2

cedar city, Utah
3000 in Browns last Sunday was a blast. Curios to see it today around 2500.
Ran fractions/frog yesterday at 2250 and it was some of the busiest class 3 I have ever done in an oar rig, especially that first 2 miles below railroad.

None of the stretches look pleasant to swim at these levels but obviously people are managing it. Glad it dropped but having fun at the current levels.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #3

Last night was so fun on the Numbers. Went from Stealth to 7. Everything is soft and fluffy and and with the medium flows now, it is much more manageable. Should be an awesome week on the ARK
The River Flow is up to 1550.0 CFS on Buena Vista Whitewater Park of the Arkansas River. Thanks for using the Riverbrain.com flow notification service.
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015   #4

>>"Went from Stealth to 7"

What does this mean exactly. Is stealth above numbers put in. Sounds like seven is below the railroad bridge takeout?
treewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #5

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Stealth to 7

Treewell - Stealth put-in is upstream of the official Numbers put-in by about a half mile. "7" is the first rapid in the Fractions which starts about a quarter of a mile below #6 in the Numbers and is about 1/3rd mile long, and it is above the Railroad Bridge access point. Also, to further this description, the first rapid below Railroad Bridge is called #8 by some of us who have been kayaking the Numbers/Fractions long before rafts ever thought to run the Numbers/Fractions.
DonWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWP View Post
Treewell - Stealth put-in is upstream of the official Numbers put-in by about a half mile. "7" is the first rapid in the Fractions which starts about a quarter of a mile below #6 in the Numbers and is about 1/3rd mile long, and it is above the Railroad Bridge access point. Also, to further this description, the first rapid below Railroad Bridge is called #8 by some of us who have been kayaking the Numbers/Fractions long before rafts ever thought to run the Numbers/Fractions.
Interesting. I've never heard the Miracle Mile called #8. I always defer to the early river runners when it comes to rapid's names but I know guys that were running this rio in fiberglass that call it the Miracle Mile. Now what?
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #7

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Interesting. I've never heard the Miracle Mile called #8. I always defer to the early river runners when it comes to rapid's names but I know guys that were running this rio in fiberglass that call it the Miracle Mile. Now what?
That is not unusual for a rapid or section of river to have multiple names, which actually sounds kind of appropriate given that rivers have multiple personalities ! I was one of those running the Ark in fiberglass in the '70s along with a number of others, who are still paddling, and we had names for a few other rapids (eg. some in Brown's and Parkdale) that are now known by something else. Have you ever seen Doug Wheat's book "The Floaters Guide to Colorado" published by Falcon Books in 1983? A number of names were changed when the rafting industry really took off but not sure which companies, if any, had an impact in that regard. Back then, information was by word-of-mouth, or published books. Now that Colorado State Parks has created the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area, I would imagine that the names they applied to rapids and river sections on all of their maps will remain for the foreseeable future. Come to think of it, the Bighorn Sheep Canyon name started after the Division of Wildlife transplanted bighorn into the Arkansas River corridor sometime back in the 80's or 90's in an effort to publicize the sheep.

I wonder if we had a new rapid created in the future by some monster storm, who would get the credit for naming it?
DonWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #8

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm getting conflicting beta from my River Guide app and the Nathrop Guage, my app says 2660 and Nathrop Guage reads 1700. Anyone have info on the actual flows they can share w me. Thx!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I'm getting conflicting beta from my River Guide app and the Nathrop Guage, my app says 2660 and Nathrop Guage reads 1700. Anyone have info on the actual flows they can share w me. Thx!
If you're in doubt as to whether you should trust your app or the gage, you should trust this:

USGS 07091200 ARKANSAS RIVER NEAR NATHROP, CO

You're welcome,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015   #10

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Yeah, Don. I've seen the book you reference but I don't have a copy. I've got names for rocks and eddies and parts of rapids etc. Some are in "common" usage now, at least with my extended crew.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark