Best Downriver for 5-7 120lbs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2007   #1

Best Downriver for 5-7 120lbs?

I have recently been told that getting into a ezg42 would be putting the cart before the horse. I am new to kayaking. I have a perception acadia and need something that moves more.
I want to be able to practice some play moves, but I also don't want to jump so far ahead that I'm rolling every other minute because my boat has too much of an edge.
So if EZG42 is too much then what is the best Downriver that has some play?

55snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007   #2

Hey,

I'm a little shorter than you (5' 4"). I have a Dagger Juice that I love - got it as my second boat after discovering that a GT does not really turn, or play, very well. I've taken it down many class IV runs as well as the occasional class V and it works pretty well (the lack of performance on class V is probably more my lack of skills rather than the boat). Unfortunately, I've found the Rx (Dagger's successor to the Juice) is a little wide for most girls (dunno if you are male or female, though, but unless you have wide shoulders it's not a great boat).

I've also tried a Jackson 2Fun, and love it for playing but found it a little tippy for any serious river running. I've used it on class III and IV, but didn't really like it - no secondary stability, really. Just my 2cents.

-Peta
Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #3

Yeah, I'm a girl. So my shoulders are small.
The juice huh. So many times I'm told to get off it and now I'm told to get in it.
Thank you for the info. I will check it out.
Ummm, are you selling yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007   #4

No way am I selling mine - like I said, I love it. Who's been telling you not to get a Juice? I've never heard much bad about them. The only part is that they are hard to find now they've been out of production for a couple of years.
Old 08-16-2007   #5

No one has told me not to get a juice, just to get off the juice...as in booze. The only thing I have been told not to get is a slicey boat. So I guess I will look for a juice. Sounds like it may present a challenge to find one.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2007   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Funny. Peta probably has never heard of "Juice" referred to in this way. If she is who I think she is, she is visiting us from a distant land.
Old 08-16-2007   #7

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm not sure the EZG would be a terrible choice for what you're after, but there are more forgiving boats out there for sure. I pushed the EZG for my wife (about the same size, maybe 1" shorter or so, and sounds like about the same level), but she wanted more of a river runner. She ended up in the small Mamba and loves it. She also liked the Lil' Joe (although a Trigger might be a better fit, but we coudn't find one for her to try out) which might be a little closer to what you're after.

Rob
Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #8

good luck!

I'm almost exactly your size, and I love my Dagger G-Ride 6.2. It is considered a play boat, but I prefer it for river running. It is stable on the river but fairly easy to roll and get the stern down. I also think the Dagger Kingpin 6.2 would be fun for you if you want to play a little more but still want relative stability. I can play in that boat but I feel very comfortable running easier rivers in it.

Good luck finding the perfect boat! Try as many as you can before you buy and decide what you like.
utahrivergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I am a huge pyranha fanboy so maybe a recoil or ammo for you!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Funny. Peta probably has never heard of "Juice" referred to in this way. If she is who I think she is, she is visiting us from a distant land.
Yeah it's me... how many boaters with that name are there? Sorry, still trying to learn American.

BTW, since you obviously know me, have we paddled together at some point?