Best day this season - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2007   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Best day this season

Ladddy Dawdy, we likes to party, we don't cause no trouble, we don't bother no body - figured I'd start this post with a little Snoop.

Anyway, I'm at work - it's 2 am and I'm not kayaking this weekend. My first one off this season. I'm tired and sore with 70 days behind me. So in my nastalgia, I figured I see what some other people's favorite days on the river have been this year.

My top day had to be my virgin run down vallecito. That run is epic - the water, the rapids, the ridiculously cool boofs, the campsite....We had a great crew including Dr. Brad himself to show us down. The run was just over 2.1 and I had smooth lines all day. Cold Pibbers and a lady waiting at the takeout rounded out the run.

Second had to have been the crystal gorge, also with Brad and Mr. Crystal - Jeremy Signorini. Not a better feeling in the world than stomping Zoot.

Noteables were also my first no-portage run of the Big South with Pete and the dupe crew and also an early season, late evening Bear run with Cutch.

What was everyone else's favorite run this season? What was the funniest thing you saw (can you believe that a deer jumped onto kevin's boat)?
Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007   #2

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Early season Gore with Ken O....I think it was March......or early April.....
SSV adding new rapids in my repertoire
But The All time Best was PROVING GROUNDS WITH CRAW AND LIVINGSTON
"Just like ol'times"
Times are Changin
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Too bad the proving grounds didn't run longer this season, but I'm glad the highest day was during the LOG! Anyone fire up the booth slot this season?
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007   #4

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Every day on Shoshone and not behind a desk at 2:00 a.m.!
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Its been a great season!

Best day by far for me was 1st time on the Big South. Beautiful high alpine scenery, fantastic action packed rapids, amazing mini-gorges, incredible day.

Second was bear creek in the snow the first day it ran from the big blizzard. Ditching work, cruising the city gaping at the flooded south platte and cherry creek, and then two laps on bear creek with snow on the ground at the put in. Great day. The excitement of something running from rain / snow out of the blue is a kick in the ass.

Honorable mention was dropping back from the pack on the last day of the middle fork of the salmon and going into a solo surf mission deep in the heart of a huge canyon in idaho in the middle of nowhere. Total zen soul surfing moment.

On a more serious note, I am developing a severe case of low water-icitis. Withdrawls are a hard thing to go through...
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #6

Yeah, it's hard to narrow it down to just one day. For me, this season has been awesome for finally getting stuff done that has been on my list for a long time: Salt, Fossil, Bear, Red River, Bluegrass, Upper Snake, Upper Tenmile, Blue Source, etc., etc. It's been an awesome season for exploring new rivers for me. I've managed to hit every drainage except the Crystal and Dolores.

Oh, yeah, and I guess Turkey was a bit of a highlight, in a sort of twisted masochistic way...

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #7

Golden, Colorado
Black Rock on its way down. 350 cfs with a portage of Rigor Mortis. I think the old folks home was there that day doing the same thing but I don't care. It was a stress-free sunny day.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
1) Big South on a beautiful July day when the guys that "knew the run" didn't show. Actually remembered most of the lines (except for leading newbies into Slideways blind). One member of the group ran a solid section of class IV with no paddle, and I experienced the most dramatic piton of my life, but we finished the run with smiles on our faces in a repectable time.

2) Bear Creek at high water. I got my first run of the dam (which is a sweet drop with alot of water). We put on late and spent some time finding and freeing a lost boat post-swim, and hit the takout just as it was getting really dark.

3) Upper Animas- running a new river on warm sunny day. Good lines for rafters and kayakers alike, and margaritas at camp afterwards.

4) High water Bailey with the Freedom Fighters. Big crew on the river, 3 swims (including one hilarious hole beatdown) and all of them were totally harmless.

I could go on and on. We gotta get our Gore/Bailey on because this season just can't end!
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
March 13th...my daughter was born.

I paddled one day at the playpark, one day on lower clear creek at 1000 CFS (OMFG!) and one day on Foxton at 700 CFS. It was my first time on all of them and all three were awesome, but every run was overshadowed by the fact that I could be at home with my newborn. So, I sold my boating gear.

Now, anyone wanna buy a truck?
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbhoser View Post
March 13th...my daughter was born.

I paddled one day at the playpark, one day on lower clear creek at 1000 CFS (OMFG!) and one day on Foxton at 700 CFS. It was my first time on all of them and all three were awesome, but every run was overshadowed by the fact that I could be at home with my newborn. So, I sold my boating gear.
Smart man.

But five years from now, though, and she should be big enough for a Fun 1.
Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote