Best class V creek on the planet? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-11-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Best class V creek on the planet?

Whats the best class V creek on the planet? In the US you hear lots about the US classics like the little white, the green, upper cherry, etc, but I have no clue what else is out there around the world. I've seen videos of incredible looking creeks in canada, norway, chile, the alps, corsica, NZ, mexico, brazil, central america etc. Got me thinking, what is the most awesome class V creek run on the planet. If there was one ultimate badass run that tops them all what is it? If its not just one run, whats the most awesome destination for creeking on the planet?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
I'm not to good with shit outside of the US but for me the best day run in the US is the Little White, it has everything you could want, people talk about the green being the best but I don't even count that one in my top 10.
As far as the best multiday class 5 run that is a bit harder but from what i have done I would say dinkey creek followed closely by upper cherry and devil's canyon on the middle feather. I think the best one is the Middle kings but I haven't done that one yet.
What is your top run Ian (SSV?)
For me the best place to paddle is California in the US, but in the world I would love to go to Chile or Norway, NZ scares me.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
San Gerardo, Costa Rica. We were running creeks with 500-800 feet per mile with no major portages. People (including myself) had been dissing on CR, but that's because they were all in Turriabla, which is the wrong city. If you're looking for class V it beats the pants off Ecuador. It's also 1/2 price of Chile or NZ and infinitely cheaper than Norway. CR is about to blow up as a paddling destination - word is getting out and awesome 1st Ds are being done all over the country.

I agree with Tom about UCC being awesome and the Green being pretty heavily over-rated. Also a huge fan of the Clark's Box and Hells Gate.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2009   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
San Gerardo, Costa Rica. We were running creeks with 500-800 feet per mile with no major portages. People (including myself) had been dissing on CR, but that's because they were all in Turriabla, which is the wrong city. If you're looking for class V it beats the pants off Ecuador. It's also 1/2 price of Chile or NZ and infinitely cheaper than Norway. CR is about to blow up as a paddling destination - word is getting out and awesome 1st Ds are being done all over the country.

I agree with Tom about UCC being awesome and the Green being pretty heavily over-rated. Also a huge fan of the Clark's Box and Hells Gate.
Joe

Joe, you are right--Ecuador's most common boating areas are most awesome for Class IV and IV+. But Ecuador does have some really amazing Class V if you get off the beaten path. I haven't paddled Costa Rica, so don't know how they compare, but I think Ecuador is pretty cool!

As for other places with amazing Class V creeking--don't overlook British Columbia. Things are amazing out there! Tatlow and Ashlu just to name a couple...
darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #5

denver,lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
if you all colorado kayaker are interested in costa rica for kayaking,surfing,rafting,class II,III,kayaker,learning Spanish,family trips contact me chino 303-945-0040 or came to me house to plan your personal trip 642 carr st lakewood co 80214 all of this trips are going to be for september,october,novemver,december 2010, I am from costa rica this is me Chino Kayak
sarapiquichino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm goin to costa rica in december

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post

Joe
I'm goin to turrialba and la virgen where are you talkin about with all the class V creeks about to blow up?
C12Charles.Nobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Not in Turrialba! San Geraldo is sick!
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #8

denver,lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I am with you bro, in sarapiqui we got patria river,la paz 75 feet pozo azul got 3 drops of 15-20-30 feet drops,but perez zeledon or san gerardo got the best creeks in costa rica
sarapiquichino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #9

probably not in the running for the worlds best, but the Alseseca is damn fun. I have only been on the classic section, a IV/V section of bedrock pool drop waterfalls. Above and below the classic are serious class V sections with vertical drops as big as you want to go. See hotel charlie 2. Best part is that it runs most of the year.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Costa Rica sounds awesome. Want to see some more pics of those 500-800 ft/mile creeks!

I do love SSV, full contact mank at its finest. I realize that there is a lot more out there every time I see a nice pic from cali or BC though.

Embudo and big south are the best runs I've done, but I haven't really boated much hard stuff outside of the rockies.

I've been wondering where in the world geology, water, and access combine to make the best runs.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class v