Best cities for Idaho kayaking and colleges? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-05-2012   #1

mill city, Oregon
Best cities for Idaho kayaking and colleges?

Hey,

So I'm wanting to broaden my horizons and branch out but wanted some input. I'm currently living in Oregon, I was wondering where the best areas are to live, finish school, and kayak in the state of Idaho?

I was thinking of starting at a community college, establish residency before transferring to a 4 year and so on but obviously there's only a few choices such as NIC in Coeur d'Alene, WIC Boise and EITC Idaho Falls. I'm wanting to go for environmental engineering eventually and was wondering also what a better pick is UI or BSU?

If someone could just give me some insight and a little information it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

clogsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012   #2

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogsy View Post
Hey,

So I'm wanting to broaden my horizons and branch out but wanted some input. I'm currently living in Oregon, I was wondering where the best areas are to live, finish school, and kayak in the state of Idaho?

I was thinking of starting at a community college, establish residency before transferring to a 4 year and so on but obviously there's only a few choices such as NIC in Coeur d'Alene, WIC Boise and EITC Idaho Falls. I'm wanting to go for environmental engineering eventually and was wondering also what a better pick is UI or BSU?

If someone could just give me some insight and a little information it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
I don't know much about Coeur d'Alene, but Boise should be your choice. The boating around there is definitely better than IF, and its a great college town. I think, but don't know for sure, that the season on the Payette system lasts a lot longer than up north. Desert runs like the Bruneau and the Owyhee are nearby as well.

Regardless of where you go, you are wise to establish residency first. You'll be a lot happier when you get out of school if you don't owe a ridiculous amount of money.
Paddle Iraq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #3

Window Shade City, Out of Breath
Paddling Since: 2007
Eastern Idaho

There's always BYU-Idaho in Rexburg to think about hahaahaaha (I couldn't help myself). Since it's a private school owned by the LDS church there's no residency requirement so it might be the best bang for your buck for your first year of school before transferring out to Boise St.

Pros: Close to all the paddling classics of Eastern Idaho like lower mesa falls, teton river, bitch creek, blackfoot, snake river, etc. Also pretty close to Jackson, Wyoming. Incredible skiing close by in the Tetons. Tuition gets cut in half if you are or become a member of the church. Easy to focus on studying and good grades because there are no parties and few distractions.

Cons: Social scene is reflective of the student body (95% LDS) so there is little to no diversity. It's basically like a piece of Utah transplanted into Idaho. Madison County usually competes as the most republican voting county per capita in the nation, so the average moderate/liberal Oregonian may not fit in.

Conclusion: If you're a penny pinching, conservative, academic focused, religious type, then Rexburg is for you. The great skiing and fairly decent kayaking carries less weight. - If the thought of going to a strict church school gives you nightmares then don't even consider it no matter how much money you may save or how good the paddling/skiing is because you will end up hating your life.

Good Luck
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012   #4

mill city, Oregon
Sounds like Boise is where everything is at and I'm sure I could handle cc there but don't think bsu has environmental egn, its more at UI from what I'm told. But correct me if I'm wrong, not much boating in Moscow either is there?

Lol thanks for the input but I don't know if I could go to a strict church school no matter how decent the paddling is haha, I just wouldn't fit there.
Old 04-05-2012   #5

Summit County, and Idaho
Boise all the way. They have a great urban scene, good people with like-minded outdoorsy attitudes. BSU is a great school, Broncos do pretty well. I have heard the new ww park there is great, but I havent been back to Idaho in several years even though its my home state.
Stay far far away from IF, TW (unelss you like base jumping).
There is a huge LDS presence in those areas and just about EVERY other small town there.
Moscow has a great school too and is a cool place but not much boating.
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Boise. Lived there three years. Great variety of paddling available. Payette runs through September. Awesome desert multiway south of there on the jarbidge and Owyhee rivers as well.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #7

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Come on over to Boise.... we need a few more Oregon hippy types to balance out our local elections and add to the vibe of the town.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #8

Boise, Idaho
College of Southern Idaho in Twin Falls if you want to do the community college thing.

Most people won't admit this, but the boating there is better year round than in Boise. Murtaugh might run all year, and that's a river that people in TF log 100 or so runs a year without burning out. There's the Sewer, Malad and Bliss/Hagerman near TF, and about 5 good surf waves. Deep Creek is in a few weeks a year; 2 good beginner waterfalls (Riley Creek and Box) and 2 expert waterfalls (Devils and Star). Of course, Boise is always close enough for day trips.

Boise has a new WW park which will be nice, and 2 local surf waves. The waves run about 4 months a year; supposedly the WW park will run year round. But that water is COLD. Payettes can run all year, but are less exciting in the late summer and winter.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Any consideration of Montana schools?

Montana State University is a land grant college and has a College of Engineering. West Gallatin, Madison, Yankee Jim Canyon (Yellowstone) are all ~40min drives, plus or minus. It's also 15 minutes to Bridger Bowl ski area.

University of Montana is 40min from the Alberton Gorge and Brennan's Wave is right in downtown Missoula. It's only 2.5 hours from the Lochsa.

Montana Tech in Butte has a great Environmental Engineering program, but zero close whitewater to speak of.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #10

mill city, Oregon
Thanks, does anyone know the job market for a college student in Boise though? Retail, restaurant, that kind of stuff because apparently it is terrible near North Idaho College and in order to establish residency you have to be working besides the fact you have to survive too.

I actually looked into Bozeman/MSU, Montana tech, university of Idaho and Oregon state. You see I'm originally from the SE and wanted a change, I chose Oregon thinking it was right but living expenses for apt and the pay of work just isn't feasible to me, plus I can't pump my own gas which drives me nuts lol.

I'm thinking Idaho because it was originally my first choice and have a possible Temporary fs student position and tuition/costs are cheap. But I'm open to everyones and anyones input, opinions and advice at this point. I just want to finish my education with as least debt as possible and be able to continue to have fun and boat on my down time as well which won't be as much as a environmental engineer student I'm sure. But that's a little about me and what I'm looking for and I really appreciate the advice and help everyone.
Thanks!

Tags
kayaking