Best bike shuttle runs - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-12-2014   #1
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Best bike shuttle runs

I've been pretty lucky to live near a couple of sweet bike shuttleable rivers. Durango for 15 years. And now Alberton Gorge with a 3 mile flat bike ride for 4 miles of class 3 pool drops. Everybody knows about the Kokopelli trail for Westwater. What else is out there?

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014   #2

Numbers/Fractions, Slaughterhouse, Boulder Creek, Eagle, Upper Clear Creek, Crystal, Greys River, SF Clearwater, Upper Stillwater and Lower Flathead are ones I've done. Tried the Madison but it was snowing too hard so I hitched. If you like narrow highways (I don't) the list is huge.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #3
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
Theoretically? Most everything. Tho a lot are better on a dirt or street bike!

If you talk about sweet, absolutely dynamite single track, I would put at the top of my list the N Umpqua. Fing amazing, and there will be kings lined up at the base of the dam at Toketee Falls! The N Fk Am also has single track shuttle that you don't want to use up all your energy before. The play run on the Kananaskis has a nice trail for shuttle too. The last time there it was closed because of blowdown so got caught in a shower on the longer hwy route.

Bikeability of shuttles is a big criterion when on exploratory road trips with only one truck. Thought we would do a 3-4 stretch of the Kicking Horse but they were working on the hwy and the narrow construction would have been V+ on a bike (maybe 6). Did an easier stretch. One rapid sounded like a freight train...not because it was that hard but because there was a train going by.

When researching bikepacking found that there was a single track next to part of a fork of the Willamette we did years before.

Ah, boatin an bikin road trips, nothing better. Great to burn off the adrenalina spinning back up to the truck. Clear Creek of the Klamath was cool because we saw a bear, but then it was CA.

Would like to hear of others. Come on people, don't bogart!

I guess other runs on my radar wouldn't work. Like the Happy and Charley in AK, fly in. Cheers, happy dreaming. Leroy Boy.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014   #4

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I've been pretty lucky to live near a couple of sweet bike shuttleable rivers. Durango for 15 years. And now Alberton Gorge with a 3 mile flat bike ride for 4 miles of class 3 pool drops. Everybody knows about the Kokopelli trail for Westwater. What else is out there?
The more I think about it, the more it seems like most of the runs I've done are bike shuttleable. I mean if you can drive a car between take out and put in...

Multi-day stuff less so, unless you budget time to do a long day or even overnight ride back.

First few that come to mind = everything on the Poudre, Taylor Canyon, Lake Fork Gunny, Dark Canyon, Cross Mountain Gorge, All the Vail/Eagle stuff, all the Glenwood stuff...

Looking forward to spending time in Wyo next summer, where many of the runs on our radar require hiking in and out.
Old 09-12-2014   #5
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
LSB, we didn't do Alberton on our summer trip this yr because I remembered the shuttle to be not that bikeable. Must be a better way?
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3dw View Post
LSB, we didn't do Alberton on our summer trip this yr because I remembered the shuttle to be not that bikeable. Must be a better way?
The whole run is not bikeable because of the freeway. Only the top half is. But you can't get a raft out there. I did a bunch of solo OC1 runs this summer on it and am totally stoked to have it as my home run. All my River time anymore is rafting or kayaking with the kids or sneaking out for a couple hours on the spur of the moment so it's a perfect fit.