Bend, Oregon?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2013   #1

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Bend, Oregon??

Hi,

If I happen to be lucky in my career prospects, I may have an opportunity to have a good job in Bend, Oregon. If you have any comments about Bend, positive or negative, I would very grateful to hear them. I've heard it's a recreational paradise, but Mt. Bachelor looks like only a bachelor could afford to ski it. Are there other good ski resorts that are less expensive and advanced in the area? How is the town culturally? Whitewater opportunities? Cost of living? I'm all ears, or rather eyes in this case. Thanks in advance!

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Not to piggyback on this thread, but I have the same opportunity right now about Portland, OR and I'm trying to figure out if I should head there or stay in the SE in a place like Charlotte.

What's the avg COL out there in Portland? I've sorta looked into real estate in the SE and NW districts. How's the SW? NW? I would need to be close to OHSU to make it work.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #3

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
Hi,

If I happen to be lucky in my career prospects, I may have an opportunity to have a good job in Bend, Oregon. If you have any comments about Bend, positive or negative, I would very grateful to hear them. I've heard it's a recreational paradise, but Mt. Bachelor looks like only a bachelor could afford to ski it. Are there other good ski resorts that are less expensive and advanced in the area? How is the town culturally? Whitewater opportunities? Cost of living? I'm all ears, or rather eyes in this case. Thanks in advance!
Mt Bachelor isn't that expensive...if you live in Bend you will probably ski there every weekend at least. For $829 for the season it is worth it and you said you will have a good job in Bend. Some things are worth your hard earned money so you can stress less and enjoy your free time. Where I live in Telluride passes are $1098, well worth it even though it is hard to shell out that much cash. It is like a 5 month gym membership...damn that's any expensive gym!!!
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
@Outlaw, Bend is a nice place, there is a good selection of breweries and it seems like more opening everyday it seems. The town still goes to bed around 9pm though. If you are a single guy it is kinda like any other resort town, you will have a lot of single guy friends taking turns on the same few single women. The outdoor activity are great, lots of mountain biking, climbing, hiking, etc. The rivers in town are limited, but within a two hour drive you can get to the gorge or many of the runs in the cascades. The friends I know that live out there absolutely love it.

@GAtoCSU, if you would be working at OHSU it does not matter were you live, there is a ton of public transit going to that area, free valet bike parking, etc. Unless you end up way out in NE someplace the ride is pretty easy. COL is all over the board. If you are doing the roommate thing you would typically be paying $300-500 a month for a room. You can still get PBR for $1-2 at many bars and micros for $3-4. My house (3 bedroom ranch style about 10 minutes outside of Portland in SW) would sell for around $200k. Search for Portland or Hood River and you will see tons of threads on river activities.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #5

Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Both Places are great places to live !! Bend has the Deschutes and Crooked River Seasonal Class 4, with everything the Gorge has to offer within striking distance. Idaho gourmet water is constantly calling. Tough to beat...$.02

PDX is the spot for the Gorge, Cascades & Cali goodness, Washington has tons of great water as well. Too many rivers ....... For people with jobs !!!!
mrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013   #6

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
If you are able to get a good job in bend take it and bring a girl place is awesome! Great boating, fishing, climbing, skiing and back country. Don't worry about a ski pass there is sick back country to do laps on all day and its super safe. Like said above bring a girl the night life is pretty weak.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #7

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
meeting

Bend has some downside.
Because it is a popular scenic active community it costs more to live there.
Bend has moved away from regular middle class to Upper Middle Class/Wealthy with a service worker population. Lots of second homes used every third weekend keep things quiet with a decent selection of restaurants but bars minimal. Hence the Microbreweries do well serving food with craft.

One needs to emphasize the Mountain Bike and Road Bike communities. The Mountain Bike group is particularly active and there is a very good network of forest trails in the Pondo close in on Bend's Westside.
There are I think better hiking trails than close by river opportunities such as the PCT through the Three Sisters Wilderness.
The National Forest with car camping is fine and fly fishermen have three very nice spots that are hi-lights for those coming here.

For easy river stuff on the Eastside Bend does well with one tank of gas round trip including shuttle. The local label is The High Desert, really the great American steppe, so think limited spring runs on the eastside except where damed. Sorry to say that.
Lots of fun family rivers. Think Class III more than IV. Three of the more commonly spoken of Class IV's are on a Deschutes stretch near Maupin and are fairly easy for IV's. One quick drop and plenty of recovery. Its about the best place to teach beginning Class IV you could find.

============

Meeting women is done in Hot Yoga classes or on a Mountain Bike trail. That Maupin stretch has a lot of people come over from Portland and do it twice in a day of no camping but intoxication. It may present a meeting opportunity on occasion.

Bend is popular, dry AND sunny, becoming a city, has wonderful drinking water from an almost limitless aquifer, good medical for its size, good mountain scenery that'll brighten your day and absolutely splendid pale ales to explore the depths of.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #8

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Bend has a ww park in the works. I like the central location. You can be anywhere in OR, south WA and north CA in 3-4 hrs. That includes the OR coast. It also has a sweet class 4 fall/winter run, Riverhouse. Meadowcamp in the summer. Both on the Deschutes and much closer than Maupin. Portland area is great, if you like city life. The Columbia gorge is close.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #9

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Don't forget about the world class climbing at Smith Rock, you'll also find women there looking for belay partners
gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013   #10

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I think the hardest part of Bend for most residents is affording to live there. There are jobs in Bend, but few GOOD jobs. If you've got that part taken care of, then you're a giant step ahead of the rest. I think Bend was one of the hardest hit in the real estate market. I know there were some smoking deals snatched up over the last few years. There's probably still some around, but it won't be long before they'll be back to pre-recession prices.

Good boating, great skiing, mountain biking, pretty much anything outdoor ect....... If you can afford to live there, you won't be disappointed. My $.02
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote