Beginner WW Kayaker looking for advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2015   #1

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2015
Beginner WW Kayaker looking for advice

I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to decide on a good kayak to get into the sport. Between all of the different models available and the lack of reviews on many of the models I'm finding it's tough to make a decision. My local craigslist has the following options, if anyone has experience with any of these and can either recommend one of them, or steer me away from a yak that may be too advanced for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dragorossi Pintail (7' 4") [$280]
Perception Corsika (10') [$320]
Wave Runner Super EZ (7') [$400]
Salto Eskimo (7' 10") [$350]

Based on what I have found I think I'm leaning towards the Salto Eskimo. Outside of the options above, if you have any further advice or recommendation I would be very grateful to the help.

loadofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015   #2

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
None of those seem like smokin deals.

Corsica- NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is a vintage old school kayak, it is a classic in the same way that a Gremlin is a classic car. In my parts they go for $20 for planters

pintail- meh. I don't know much about them but they look like a mid 2000s design. catchy stern and bow, slow, not particularly good at anything.

Super EZ- OK I can get on board with this. IF it is under $200 and fits well.

Eskimo- you chose the best one for a first boat, I think. but a 10 year old boat better be in amazing shape for $350. Low ball whoever it is.

AND REMEMBER you are still going to have to get a decent paddle, PFD, helmet, skirt, floats, a rope......and IMO a drytop.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #3

portland, Oregon
Thanks for the info Fiya. I'm in the city, so the selection is sparce. But if I look out further and take a road trip to pick one up I may have better luck. You seem really knowledgeable, so I hope you don't mind me running a few more options by you.

Wavesport Diesel D65 [$400]
Wavesport project 52 [$350]
Necky Blunt [$250]
Response Dagger [$200] (Though says it's 12', seems extremely long for WW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Diesel or project would work depending on what you're leaning towards diesel will be easy to roll the project will be tighter learning curve if the diesel has the white outfitting its worth 400 for sure if its the black id haggle down alil
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #5

portland, Oregon
What do you mean by the white outfitting? I looked at the wavesport website and it doesn't look like there's different levels, just the D65 straight across. The one I'm looking at looks like it may be the model before the latest on their website.

I also just went into REI and talked with one of the guys there. Of their kayaks, he suggested the Dagger Zydeco. I can get it for $450 from them. Not sure how you guys feel about buying new or trying to get higher quality used, but the used selection isn't fantastic in my area.

Ultimately I would like to find a kayak that's going to hold up in the rapids (probably no more than class 2-3), and will be manageable on a lake. I realize some of the options I've listed are strictly WW kayaks. If I end up with one of those I'd likely go out and buy a cheap touring kayak for the flats. But if I can find something that would do me for both for at least the first summer I would be happy.
Old 07-01-2015   #6

portland, Oregon
I should add it's the Zydeco 9.0, now that I see there's also an 11.0
Old 07-01-2015   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
By white i mean the color white wavesports first outfitting was black then it turned white the the most recent is white with leg lifters the dagger your looking at is a recreational kayak leaned more towards lakes or lazy rivers not rolling or whitewater though i have taken rec kayaks down ww there are heavy and cumbersome I grab up the diesel
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #8

portland, Oregon
Sorry, I'm so new I don't know the lingo. I now know what the outfitting is, and yes it is the white. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015   #9

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadofcode View Post
Sorry, I'm so new I don't know the lingo. I now know what the outfitting is, and yes it is the white. Thanks.
If you are new to Kayaking, that Diesel sounds like the best option. The Project X is a good boat, but it will have a steep learning curve.

Btw, what is your height and weight? It will effect the size of boat you choose.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #10

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Btw, what is your height and weight? It will effect the size of boat you choose.
I'm 5' 10" and 155lbs