Beginner to the sport and the forum!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-04-2008   #1

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Beginner to the sport and the forum!!!!

What's up!! My name is Nick and I am new to this forum and to the sport of kayaking. Well I haven't started yet. I started out whitewater rafting a few years ago, and starting feeling more interested in the more technical and exciting aspects of river running. I have decided to make kayaking another hobby of mine (besides climbing, skiing, hiking, etc.), and need some help and advice please!! Is kayaking something I should take classes for and if so how many classes should I take and what classes??? Then, when do I venture out on my own?? After learning to roll am I ready for the real deal??? Should I just go out and do it, or find someone willing to teach me?? Anyone willing??? Ha ha!! Last but not least, is this sport as exspensive?? Is it ok to buy used kayak's and gear?? I have been eye balling Craigs List and just wanted to know some things to look for when buying used kayaking equipment.

Thanks for all and any feedback!!

-nick

islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Wow, lots of questions. Welcome to the sport. It's probably the worst mistake you ever made, but you'll have fun anyway. You'll get lots of opinions, but here are mine:

Sign up for a class. I think it's good to get some formal instruction from someone who knows what they're talking about to get you going. I think the pool is a great place to start to familiarize yourself with equipment, the wet exit, and learn how to roll. It's a great idea to get a solid roll as soon as possible, but you can start getting out on the water almost anytime as long as you go to areas that are safe for beginners. Play parks are usually good places to learn.

Yes, the sport is expensive. You can probably get a decent beginner step up reasonably priced if you buy used. I think buying used to begin with is a great idea. You'll save a lot of money. I recommend a river running playboat design as your first boat. CKS has a good page of info here:
INTERESTED IN LEARNING TO KAYAK?

Also check out the Colorado Whitewater Association (CWWA). They're a good resource for beginners and you can probably find people willing to teach you through their classes and river trips. There's also a site Kayaking Information that is geared towards beginner boaters.

Hope that helps.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #3

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandertek View Post
What's up!! My name is Nick and I am new to this forum and to the sport of kayaking. Well I haven't started yet. I started out whitewater rafting a few years ago, and starting feeling more interested in the more technical and exciting aspects of river running. I have decided to make kayaking another hobby of mine (besides climbing, skiing, hiking, etc.), and need some help and advice please!! Is kayaking something I should take classes for and if so how many classes should I take and what classes??? Then, when do I venture out on my own?? After learning to roll am I ready for the real deal??? Should I just go out and do it, or find someone willing to teach me?? Anyone willing??? Ha ha!! Last but not least, is this sport as exspensive?? Is it ok to buy used kayak's and gear?? I have been eye balling Craigs List and just wanted to know some things to look for when buying used kayaking equipment.

Thanks for all and any feedback!!

-nick
Yes, take classes. No, NEVER paddle alone. The sport, just like any other sport is as expensive as you make it. I am a board member of Colorado Whitewater but I still think it is a great place to start to learn. They have lots of realitively cheap classes and have a good community, training campn may be a great idea for you. Check it out at Colorado Whitewater Home Page.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Islander...

YES take a class. I would suggest the full day lake class k110 http://www.raguides.com/learn/whitewater.html#K110 great class and great guides.
Also check out the http://www.eddyflower.com/Coyakers.aspx there are a lot of cool people willing to share their time with beginners on that forum.

Have fun and see you on the river.
Proslackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #5

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hey,
I will be teaching my friends how to role and run rivers... actually tonight I am taking them to the Avon rec center for there first taste. If you are looking for people at your level to progress with these guys are as new as it gets. I will be showing them the basics of how to read a river role ketch eddys ect... ect...
As for used gear it is fine. You just want to make sure you are getting the right boat. I would second the river running playboat. It is usually a boat the is pretty fast and roles easy with a nice side of play. A few thoughts are the EZ from wavesport, Juice from dagger, and if there are any still kicking around for sale an I3 from pyranha. You can get about for pretty cheap. fare being like 300-500. Then you NEED a skirt, helmet, paddle, PFD, noseplugs, whisle and some gear that will keep you warm. Rashguards, wetsuite, Drytop/splashtop, Drypants/splshpants. Just depends on how early and late you want to paddle into the season.
you can start with say 600-1000 and get the essentials to get on the water, might be a little cold for you at first.
Just let me know if or when you need help. I will be paddling every friday-sunday.
j.p.comeau is offline   Reply With Quote