beginner playboat question. - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2014   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
beginner playboat question.

So I can flat spin both ways but I always end up way forward in the feature and end up burying an end or locked in a side surf. I'm trying to learn cartwheels and loops but it makes setup hard because I don't have that much time before I'm in it. I'm 205ish lbs and paddle a large jitsu (160-240). My seat is position 1 to 2 notches forward of center. I feel like I can't stay back on the pile. I've tried moving the seat to center and it usually results in an auto stern squirt when I spin. Advice?

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014   #2

Where you end up in the pile has very little to do with your boats seat position. Your seat position only keeps your boats trim level while sitting in the water (not bow or stern heavy, but just right, thus stable, relatively fast). Controlling where you are on the pile takes lot's of practice, and most tricks require setting up on the top of the pile (as you realize). Briefly, aggressively, engaging your downstream edge in a side surf will usually get you to the top of the pile (this makes you bounce). Otherwise, work the corners and weak seams in the pile.
Old 05-27-2014   #3
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
Where you end up in the pile has very little to do with your boats seat position. Your seat position only keeps your boats trim level while sitting in the water (not bow or stern heavy, but just right, thus stable, relatively fast). Controlling where you are on the pile takes lot's of practice, and most tricks require setting up on the top of the pile (as you realize). Briefly, aggressively, engaging your downstream edge in a side surf will usually get you to the top of the pile (this makes you bounce). Otherwise, work the corners and weak seams in the pile.
Awesome thanks. Will try this later today.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014   #4

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
Rather than flat spin, carve. That will get you to the top of the pile quickly. It will also get your hips in position -- on an angle -- to throw your nose down for a cartwheel.

You should be encouraged that you are keeping your hull so flat on your spins that you drop to the bottom of the trough. Most people get nervous when they're spinning and lean down stream which blows them out the back of the foam pile.

Learning to front surf in a hole is the key to setting up all your vertical moves.
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote