beginner deciding what boat to get [jackson rouge] - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-23-2012   #1

nooo, usaaa
Paddling Since: 2012
beginner deciding what boat to get [jackson rouge]

[im sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in] im a noob who is getting into whitewater kayaking. i have done class 2-3 rivers so i have a little experience. im interested in bigger rivers more than narrow creeks. i want a boat that is on the smaller side [i am 6'1" but only weigh about 140 lbs] so far ive been looking into boats and thought that the jackson zen and fun runner looked good, but i dont know if i can afford them. my local kayak shop has 2 boats that are in my price range. a jackson rouge 9/10 and a jackson villain from a year or two ago. im leaning towards the rouge 9 because its more versatile and since im a beginner i dont need a boat that can do class 5 rivers. im worried about how capable it will be when i want to do more difficult stuff, but i like how i will be able to use it for calm water. does anyone have experience with this boat or similar boats? also, i live near the adirondacks and vermont, does anyone know of any class 2-3 rivers that are good for a beginner? thank you

jimbothethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
check other post.

I just posted on your other thread. All the boats mentioned are fantastic for beginners of your size. Check it out.

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #3

Vernal, Utah
I bought a used villian for my first boat and I really like it so far
Clobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012   #4

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Villain S would be your size; not the large Villain, which is similar to the Mega-Rocker in size.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #5

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbothethird View Post
[im sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in] im a noob who is getting into whitewater kayaking. i have done class 2-3 rivers so i have a little experience. im interested in bigger rivers more than narrow creeks. i want a boat that is on the smaller side [i am 6'1" but only weigh about 140 lbs] so far ive been looking into boats and thought that the jackson zen and fun runner looked good, but i dont know if i can afford them. my local kayak shop has 2 boats that are in my price range. a jackson rouge 9/10 and a jackson villain from a year or two ago. im leaning towards the rouge 9 because its more versatile and since im a beginner i dont need a boat that can do class 5 rivers. im worried about how capable it will be when i want to do more difficult stuff, but i like how i will be able to use it for calm water. does anyone have experience with this boat or similar boats? also, i live near the adirondacks and vermont, does anyone know of any class 2-3 rivers that are good for a beginner? thank you
Jimbo,

I have a Villain S for sale that is excellent and has improved outfitting already dialed in. The Villain S is a great choice for you. Your weight is in the middle of the boat's range and your height will be an advantage for you and yet be super comfortable fitting in the S. The S is stable, forgiving, and performace oriented. It is certainly one of the best kayaks ever made and could be a great choice for you to enjoy the sport of whitewater kayaking all the way from class II to V. PM me if you have questions. Thanks -- Ken
Old 06-25-2012   #6

nooo, usaaa
Paddling Since: 2012
i ended up getting a used villain s. it will be a good boat for me since im a beginner but i tihnk i will end up getting a smaller boat later on. thanks for your answers
jimbothethird is offline   Reply With Quote