Mountain Buzz banner

beginner deciding what boat to get [jackson rouge]

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jimbothethird 
#1 ·
[im sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in] im a noob who is getting into whitewater kayaking. i have done class 2-3 rivers so i have a little experience. im interested in bigger rivers more than narrow creeks. i want a boat that is on the smaller side [i am 6'1" but only weigh about 140 lbs] so far ive been looking into boats and thought that the jackson zen and fun runner looked good, but i dont know if i can afford them. my local kayak shop has 2 boats that are in my price range. a jackson rouge 9/10 and a jackson villain from a year or two ago. im leaning towards the rouge 9 because its more versatile and since im a beginner i dont need a boat that can do class 5 rivers. im worried about how capable it will be when i want to do more difficult stuff, but i like how i will be able to use it for calm water. does anyone have experience with this boat or similar boats? also, i live near the adirondacks and vermont, does anyone know of any class 2-3 rivers that are good for a beginner? thank you

#5 ·
Jimbo,

I have a Villain S for sale that is excellent and has improved outfitting already dialed in. The Villain S is a great choice for you. Your weight is in the middle of the boat's range and your height will be an advantage for you and yet be super comfortable fitting in the S. The S is stable, forgiving, and performace oriented. It is certainly one of the best kayaks ever made and could be a great choice for you to enjoy the sport of whitewater kayaking all the way from class II to V. PM me if you have questions. Thanks -- Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.