Beginner - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2014   #1

Breckenridge, Colorado
Beginner

Hey everyone,

Beginner kayaker here, just moved out to Breckenridge, Colorado and am craving to get a kayak. Have to clue what I'll need, but mostly looking to take the kayaks out on the lake and do a few camping trips with it with the ability to do a few rapids, but that wouldn't be my primary use.

Also, whats your opinion on tandem kayaks? My boyfriends wanting one as well, but I just heard tandems are so heavy. If anyone can point me in the right direction of what they think would suit me that would be great!

boothk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
No to the tandem if you want to stay in your relationship.
Old 03-24-2014   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Tandem kayaks are typically piloted from the rear seat by an experienced boater, although are sometimes used as expedition craft by two experienced boaters. If you are both planning on learning to whitewater kayak, I would suggest not going the tandem route. You'll each have your own learning style and, as you progress, two boats are better than one for rescuing one another (and your gear) when you inevitably go for a swim in a rapid.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014   #4

Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I second (third?) not going the tandem route. Learn to kayak together, but not together. You can always add a tandem to the fleet later if you choose.
wildsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Sounds like you're not quite sure if you're going to be whitewater kayaking or touring...

Try to find a used boat. If you like it, great. If not, get something different. Too many people get seduced by a shiny new kayak and pay too much for their "first" boat that ends up not being what they want or need. Get a boat, get on the water. If your needs/desires change, buy another and don't feel a bit guilty about selling the first boat that introduced you to kayaking.

Find a local demo day and try everything.

People love the freedom of kayaking, myself included.
There is no freedom in a tandem kayak. Skip them.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Sounds like you're not quite sure if you're going to be whitewater kayaking or touring...

Try to find a used boat. If you like it, great. If not, get something different. Too many people get seduced by a shiny new kayak and pay too much for their "first" boat that ends up not being what they want or need. Get a boat, get on the water. If your needs/desires change, buy another and don't feel a bit guilty about selling the first boat that introduced you to kayaking.

Find a local demo day and try everything.

People love the freedom of kayaking, myself included.
There is no freedom in a tandem kayak. Skip them.
Yep. What they said. Demo.
Old 03-24-2014   #7

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ten Mile Creek Kayaks

If you get over to Frisco, be happy to give you the down-low on all the options, even have a few used boats that meet your needs. Open 10am-6pm, daily…

Regards,

TMCK

Keep The Hairy Side Up
TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
No to the tandem if you want to stay in your relationship.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
great video
Old 03-30-2014   #10

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 10
No to the tandem kayak not only are they annoying but they restrict you to just being on a lake. You seem to want to at least try to get on a river just to try it out. My suggestion is that you get a river runner and even an outdated one at that it isn't worth spending over 600$ on a kayak. You can go on Craigslist or even there are a few kayak shops that will have an old perception kayak that is on its way to the recyclers that they might even give you. This way you have a kayak that can handle rivers just to see if its for you and if they aren't you still have a halfway decent lake kayak.
trevor4646 is offline   Reply With Quote