Bear Creek Wood Report - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bear Creek Wood Report

Got on bear creek after work yesterday. Flow was 150 cfs. Overall the run was good. We portaged 3 times. 1) big river wide tree in the upper section. Easy to see, easy to portage, in flatwater. 2) Dam drop with tree in landing. 3) Big wood pile in lower section. We ducked under the tree upstream of the takeout.

There was a report of bear being wood infested resulting in folks walking out last year. There is currently a lot of wood in bear, but most of it is easy to get around if you are heads up. I did not find it overly woody and its open for business. All drops are runnable except the dam.

Hobbit hole beta: During the floods a huge tree blocked the boof ledge under the hobbit bridge. An angry landowner with a rifle discouraged me from scouting in 2013. Want to be stealth here and keep moving quickly. I got out of my boat for a quick scout. Looked like the huge tree was mostly gone from the boof ledge, but there were lots of small branches and crap in the ledge drop. I opted for a 4 ft manky boof into the side channel to the left about 20 ft upstream of the ledge. As you are paddling into the ledge you end up busting a move perpedicular to the current to boof into the side channel. Clean from there to the bottom of the drop. Looked like the landing of the ledge was clean. Will do a stealth look at the ledge friday to see if the drop is still a no go with wood or if it goes.

Most of the upper run above no fun falls was standard bear creek. I feel like the floods cleaned up the mank, similar to what happened in eldo. Seems like less sharp rocks to bounce off of in the inbetween. Of course there are still some manky rocks that you will hit in little drops which are boat breakers. Bring the mank boat.

No fun falls entrance changed a bit. Some cool folding seams and odd angled holes. Final 3-4 drops are pretty similar to what they always were. Good fun.

The slide below no fun was good. There is a small log in play in the next drop below that you can dodge on the left. Might catch a snoozing paddler, but very easy to avoid.

The lair of the bear final drop is worth a scout. The whole rapid has changed a lot. Entrance is a steeper boof. Most of the water goes right around the litte island, and the right line goes well. Left goes also, but has some rocks in the runout that are hard not to piton on.

Plan on getting in there friday to clean out some of the wood. We can probably get all the portages cleaned out with the exception of the dam depending. Really should have worked on that prior to runoff.

Note that there is a lot of small to mid sized wood dangling off of rocks that could move. Goes without saying but I would be heads up for wood as the water is rising and would not assume everything is good.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Also... I think we might have a nice little bear creek season here. Flow is up to 190 today. Plenty of snow on mt evans, another upslope storm predicted over the next week.
Old 04-30-2015   #3

There's also a new low head dam type ledge drop after the retaining wall after the keyhole slide. After running it and looking back upstream we surmised that it was formed by a log. It's an easy 3 to 4 foot boof but could be a problem if you screw it up at higher water.
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Got some wood out. Only two portages: Dam and tree just above takeout. Park rangers shut down the takeout log removal. Hobbit hole standard line is in. Tree is gone there. Bear was at a nice flow today. Good times. Bear a palooza this weekend.
Old 05-02-2015   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Midnight and I'm in the garage welding my boat. Bear creek must be in. Caught a little rain spike and it was lots of fun today. There's a lot of wood moving around so be heads up, esp as the flows (hopefully) come up.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015   #6

Denver, Colorado
Tried to get out log above takeout. It dropped down, just under the surface in the current. Might be able to float over it. Kinda sketchy so maybe still portage. Will try to finish it off tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2015   #7
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Went over the log by the takeout yesterday. Sketchy because I didn't realize until after I was already over it. Potential for a nasty pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015   #8

Denver, Colorado
Yesterday our crew all went right over the takeout log without issue. Center in the main flow is fine at 250 cfs. I am going to chat with the denver mountain parks rangers and get a plan B to finish log removal.

Big spike on bear right now. This will definitely get some of the wood moving thats bobbing around the creek. Heads up!
Old 05-04-2015   #9

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Bear is about to spike, it is pouring rain up here in Genesee/Evergreen!
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Bear went huge last night. 600 hundo is an incredible flow. In could go higher or much higher depending on what the precip does.

After the 2013 floods, I have been saying that event was a once in a paddle career type flow. Looks like it might be a twice in a paddle career flow.

Keep an eye out for wood!