Bear Creek update - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-16-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bear Creek update

Currently free of wood portages except for the dam. High water cleaned out the creek a lot. Tons on the bullshit wood that was all over the place on the way up is now gone.

Morrison gauge just got a flow measurement yesterday, was reading low but appears good now.

Hobbit hole main drop is good. Large log sticking out into air from left side of diamond splitter drop, the next significant drop a little way below hobbit hole. Looks weird, but the drop goes. You can go all the way right or thread wood and do the normal center line.

Still hanging branches above swim fest ledges that want to grab your paddle. Can run the slide and portage the ledges if you want to avoid the swim factor.

It's full on bear season! First spring bear season since 07. This weekend should be primo. It's running big off rain and hasn't even started to put a dent in the high elevation snowpack, which at ~12 inches swe is 137% of normal peak and 180# of avg. Bear is going to have a long season this year.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Sweet, I'm in town through Tuesday. Are you gonna be up there tomorrow?

-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We ended up having to portage the slide because the second ledge immediately below looked too sticky. Is there a secret Jedi eddy we missed that would let us run the slide and avoid having to swim out of the hole below? I'm an absolute boofmaster until it's above something big enough to matter...
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015   #4

Denver, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yep, river left below the slide. Some of the branches overhanging the hole are now gone thanks to ian and kevin
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
I'm 50/50 for omorrow Tom. Gotta arrange childcare. I'll give you a call if I can make it. Really fun level right now.

Def run the slide and eddy out below if you want to walk swim fest.
Old 05-16-2015   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Tom, I can probably get out for a little bit tomorrow. A little worried Bear will drop a lot with the cold weather.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Nice. Thanks for the updates Ian and company. Tom, let's paddle something early tomorrow, what do you say?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015   #8

Denver, Colorado
Just scouted the entirety of bear from put in to takeout. No new wood. Scouted it past peak and didn't see much of any wood moving about, so last high water a week or so ago cleaned her pretty good.

It's running high right now, but it looks good to me. High side of good is the low side of awesome!

No fun and swim hole look intense at high water. Not a bad idea to scout your takeout eddy at the dam at high water either.
Old 05-20-2015   #9

madrid, Idaho
nice information
thanks all
boyrafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
New wood in diamond splitter drop (first major drop below hobbit hole). Wood at the entrance blocks the standard center moving left line. We have been running the far right line. New wood as of last night in the very bottom of the drop on the far right where the water pushes you. Got around it by scrambling, but paddled through the spot where the wood was tuesday before the log was there. Its kinda small and could maybe come unlodged if you hit it, or maybe not.

Also, the hole below the slide and above no fun falls in is good form right now. Its a popular surf spot that is tricky to get out of of high water, but easy to get in to. I swam out of it last night and lost my red karma... last seen heading into no fun falls unmanned.