Bashkaus River interview with Vladimir Gavrilov - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-09-2006   #1
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Bashkaus River interview with Vladimir Gavrilov

Hello everyone,

I just finished a piece in which I interview Vladimir Gavrilov about Siberias best whitewater: The Bashkaus River. Vlad is the author of Rivers of an Unknown Land, A Whitewater Guide to the Former Soviet Union.

Check it out at http://www.whitewateraddiction.com/bashkaus.php

Thanks! D

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006   #2

Bashkaus

Gavrilov's article was too short to do the Bashkaus justice. That river is right up there with the best multi-day trips in the world. Very intense whitewater and endless rapids. There are Russians who know the river better than Gavrilov. Misha and Shoritz. They are Siberians, I think Gavrilov is from the west. We were the first all kayak team to do the river and it took us only 4 days. It would have gone faster but E-RO who posts here kept crying the whole time,. I really can't believe those russians take those homemade rafts down that thing. The previous fastest time was 8 days I think. Eugene from Paddler has a book coming out about his 30 day epic on the Bashkaus. We found a journal deep down in there and Eugene was the only english entry. He talked about food for his entire entry, sounded like the guy was starving to death. There are memorials to the people who have died on the river, there were at least 12-15 of them. It would be cool if we built those for our friends here. Definately one of the great river trips of the world. Intense, countless big water rapids. Try to interview Misha or Shoritz for more detailed coverage than you got from Gavrilov.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Where did you put in? Did you get on any other rivers in the area? How was your experience 'getting around'? Was your trip the one written up in Kayak session? Must be. Good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006   #4

As long as we're talking about the Bashkaus, 'Brothers on the Bashkaus' was a very fun read if you're into whitewater related reading.
http://www.fulcrum-books.com/product....cfm?sku=608-2
natebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebone
As long as we're talking about the Bashkaus, 'Brothers on the Bashkaus' was a very fun read if you're into whitewater related reading.
http://www.fulcrum-books.com/product....cfm?sku=608-2
Yes I put a link to that book in the article - but I didn't think it was printed yet.
Old 11-10-2006   #6

bashkaus

We put in where the road ended. We just did the lower gore as an overnighter, 4 days. We ran the upper part the day before and it was good. We put in for the lower where the river goes through a realy tight vertical gorge, about 40 ft wide. Our group ran some other rivers in the area. A first descent(I think) on the Chulcha a good 2 mile continuous V you hike up from the confluence. Then our group ran the Chebdar, 2 day hike in and 4 days on the river, not recommended, 24 hr portage involved, confluences at take-out of Bashkaus. We ran some other run I forget the name, it was flooding so it was intense and we did'nt run the lower gorge. They raft the lower stretch of that one. If you want to go Russia whitewatering, Kyrgystan would be the best experience. Tons of epic stuff there and incredible scenery. We found more quality stuff in Kyrgystan than Siberia, but nothing as good as the Bashkaus. Kyrgystan for 6 weeks is the best bang for the buck hands down. Same season as the rockies but with 15-20,000 foot peaks all over the place. Kyrgystan is better than Nepal too because there are only a few nomadic Mongolians around instead of natives popping out of every nook and cranny.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote