Basalt Whitewater Park - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2005   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Basalt Whitewater Park

Anyone ever think about a ww park on the roaring fork in basalt? It is an ideal location. The flow is pretty consistent throughout the season. There is enough room for about 3 features without totally pissing off all the fisherman. Im sure the local business owners would love the revenue. Would the town be the first people to approach? Any advice from supporters or people with past experience would be great.

ManuelHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005   #2

Were would you think would be a good spot for the features. Ive thought that before and looked into it a little.. I talked to the lady who is or was in charge of the parks and rec dept. when they were just starting to build that park behind the taco joint. She said their hydroligest said the river bottom wasn't feasable because of the small rock movement. I said" dosn't every river bed in Colorado have rocks moving in it.". She replied "It can't be done." I even gave her a dvd and literature that one of the white water park designers put togather. I never got back in touch with her. I figured there probable wasn't enough local support to push it...

MM

What ever happened to the spell check I could really use that freaken spelllll chackir
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
I was thinking from the bridge near the skate park to down behind the taco joint. It would be like salida, the park is already there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005   #4

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Hmm. . . putting a playpark on the Roaring Fork or Taylor Creek might get a lot of resistance from the flyfishing community seeing how those rivers are destination meccas for anglers.

The politics alone would make that project alot of work.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #5

Eagle County, Colorado
Supposedly the Avon-Edwards playpark concept was accepted by the flyfishing community. My understanding is that the park features aeraite the water, and is good for trout or something.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #6

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
DD, you are correct. The fishing community did in fact embrace the current Avon playpark effort.

I'm still not convinced that the fishing folks on the fork and taylor would be as accepting of riverbed changes. Its simply a matter of different attitudes.

Example: fishing on the Eagle is very, very good. Fishing on the roaring fork and Taylor Creek is world class. We're talking about two different arenas.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005   #7

Carbondale got a park to go. Seems the fishermen like to bitch in this valley, kind of like this jack ass lady who is a "fishing guide," that told me as I was running the lower Frying Pan that I was breaking the law for trespassing on a private river as she was pulling out her cell phone to call the sheriff. I looked at her client and told her that if she wanted him ( her client ) to know that she was as big of an idiot as I knew she was to go ahead and make that call and I would gladly get out of my boat and sit there on the shore with them tell they showed up to set her dumb ass straight. She put her phone away... My point is only one or two fisherman were informed enough to show up to the city council meeting in Carbondale to oppose it. It seems the issues there are deeper than the fisherman. But ya what better place to build some features than right there above the Middland bridge were there are already rocks across the river that just need to be moved around some.

We should get thisa ball a rollen again....

To surfin Basalt
MM
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Mountain, I am totally down to feel it out. I live in Basalt and would be interested in talking to whom ever necessary.
Old 10-14-2005   #9
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I live in Bonedale and would be very appreciative of a local feature. From what I've heard, the Carbondale park would have been at the Crystal and RF Confluence. This has been totally shut down? Not positive on all details. There are plenty of places for a single feature or so on the Crystal, not to mention the RF. Seems a shame that we can't get something together.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark