Barrel Springs beat down!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2012   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Barrel Springs beat down!!

I went to lap barrel today with another kayaker, I have ran it once before and cleaned the whole run. Tonight different story. I ran life after death with no problem, but new it was bigger. Got to the first drop started my approach hit this wave not supper straight missed my brace, kinda hit a roll just in time to go over the drop, upside down. Got pulled out of ly boat and swam to the side above the second drop. My friend got my boat and talked me into a second run, once again set up great ran the drop missed a roll,came out ofy boat got beat up and crawled my way on top of a rock about 5 feet from second drop. Got back to my boat paddled Shoshone and called it a night.

We have plans to run Gore on Thursday, he says it is easier than barrel at 2200 ( which I believe it was tonight)
What do you'll think?

ScottyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I think you have the typical Colorado attitude... I'd practice my roll if I were you

Casper Osama out
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #3

From what I can tell your question is: Does swimming barrel springs makes you qualified to run gore?

I have no idea if you can run gore. Just remember before you put on that Gore is a lot longer and more remote (read: not next to a road). So a mistake in Gore could lead to a long day. That said most of the rapids are pool drop, you can scout/portage most of them, and its on par with barrel springs difficulty wise. It doesn't sound promising from what you told us, but I would never tell anyone not to run it if they felt good about it.

One last thing you should remember is that Gore will always be there. It has the longest season of any run in Colorado - if you don't get it this year you have plenty of chances to get it next year.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Typical Colorado attitude? Do you mean humble, positive, and upbeat?

We'll take that attitude over Casper's angry, negative, shitty attitude any day!

Do you think your Osama signature is funny and clever? Douche is more appropriate.
sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post

We'll take that attitude over Casper's angry, negative, shitty attitude any day!

Do you think your Osama signature is funny and clever? Douche is more appropriate.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine agrees with Mike. Why even post up that you swam Barrel twice in one day and now you want opinions about running Gore.... get that roll bomb proof first.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #6
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Barrel Springs was more like 6-700 cfs. The guauge reads 1290 at shoshone. Subtract about 600 for the power plant (usually subtract about 1200 but only one turbine is working).

If Barrel was at 2200 I would agree that Gore at 900 is easier.

Gore is longer and more committing but you can walk any rapid you want. If you are willing to take all day and scout the big rapids and walk what you are not comfortable with, then go for it. If you are thinking you are going to sneak in a late evening run in a couple hours, you may want to wait a little longer and get more comfortable.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post

Osama is above your head. You wouldn't know the first thing about YLA

As far as humble, upbeat, and positive if you call swimming one rapid qualifies for a run like gore have at it. I call it like I see it. Typical Colorado attitude trying to run hard shit before the skills are there.....scooter, says you started in 2010 like I said you wouldn't have a clue And I'm pretty sure you never will.

Casper Osama out
Old 09-05-2012   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm sure no one in Wyoming or Montana ever hacks it up

OP- If you are asking for opinions, swimming twice in Barrel Springs at fish flows means that you are not a solid boater with a solid roll. You will survive Gore at this point, but if you want to paddle it well, spend some more time on your skills first.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
I'm sure no one in Wyoming or Montana ever hacks it up

OP- If you are asking for opinions, swimming twice in Barrel Springs at fish flows means that you are not a solid boater with a solid roll. You will survive Gore at this point, but if you want to paddle it well, spend some more time on your skills first.
We stomp it when they do step it up.nwe don't ask if swimming is a good prerequisite for the chronic... Even though knowing how to swim is good knowing how to kayak is the best solution...

Yep no hacks
Old 09-05-2012   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Mike, if I didn't know you where a good guy I would think you are a total tool on here. Stop with that Colorado attitude type shit, WY has a hand full of boaters and i've seen most of them get stomped. Colorado paddling is WAY better than Wyoming, and if you don't think so you need to get out more.

As for the swimmer on Barrel, I agree with Mike and Jmack, lmyers, get your roll solid before you start getting into runs that are not roadside. Swimming multiple times should not be a sign to step up but to step back and re gain your confidence when in a bad position. Paddle shoshone and roll the whole way down the river. Gore will be the same terrible run next year, keep it safe
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote