Barker Res fill status? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2008   #1

Barker Res fill status?

Has anyone taken a look at how close barker is to spilling?

sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008   #2

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
It is down 20 to 25' or so from the top. They have been letting water out and it has just started to slowly fill this weekend. It came up about 2' this past weekend.
Old 06-11-2008   #3

6-11-08 Update

12' or so to go. Snowed here this morning, now, and has been cold up high at night.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Thanks Chief!

I am a big fan of Boulder Creek and been ach'n to hit that upper stuff. When you see it's about to pour, please advise.

Thanks!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
How "alive" is Boulder Creek anyway? It was 3 years ago I first tried to paddle the canyon section, so never really payed any attention to it before that. That year I ran it at 500cfs and it was up in that range for at least a couple weeks as I recall. The year after that I think it only had a few viable days and last year it was again only 3 days or so that it creeped over 300 cfs. This year isn't looking too much better at the moment. It strikes me that we've had decent snowpack throughout these years. Is this the pattern historically or are there more diversions going on than in the past?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #6

I know folks run above four mile down through four mile. I am not sure if anyone runs from where the North Fork flows in, as there is a pretty bad looking piton rock in the start of one of the upper drops. That rock is wild looking at high water, throws water up in the air in all directions.

Above the North Fork looks pretty woody and you lose volume, as it is all middle Boulder Creek. I don't know that I have ever seen anybody run that due to wood and lack of water?

The dam managment changed when City of Boulder took it over from the power company. It seems, by the time it spills every year that the inflow usually on its way down. There is so much plumbing on that water you never really know what is going to happen. Earlier this year, they were releasing, I think to avoid a huge flow or for city or downstream water calls, who knows?

I have seen it flow at 800cfs at the bottom and it is stompin. I have heard from others that it has gotten over 1,000cfs in the old days?

Has anyone run the middle above where the North Fork comes in? What about the North Fork, Boulder Falls before it meets the middle? Not sure if it is ever runnable?
Old 06-11-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
All but a hew drops have been run on both forks.

Don't bother with the n fork, unless you like to see naked men. Serious wood hazards up there.

The stuff above the confluence (on middle) is mostly too steep or too flat, but most if not all the drops have been run.

Putting in below the falls has some good water. Look out for diamond splitter (at cob rock pull out) and another one 1/4 mile down, that I don't think has ever been run.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #8

Barker Update

It is still at 12-14' feet or so from the top and has not been rising with the cold weather.

I spoke to the dam manager today. He told me he thinks there still is a lot of snow up in the BC drainages. Again, very complicated water rights to the water and how it is handled. He thinks it should start filling again with the warm weather and thought it might go over in a week to 10 days or so, weather dependent.
Old 06-16-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post

Don't bother with the n fork, unless you like to see naked men. Serious wood hazards up there.

Thats a different kind of wood hazard than you usually find on the creeks!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #10

Visual?

What's the deal, is this thing going to run or what? Where is the water up in the lake?
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark