baja surfing - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-20-2007   #1

baja surfing

i am headig down to baja in early march looking for some beta on where to surf whats good and when, camping spots etc. or if any one knows of any guide books out there that would be helpful has well. thanks

Dano the mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2007   #2

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Just got back from a sick dirt bike trip down there for Newyears xmas. It was awesome to ride right down the beach and see no one for hours. The book that most people we telling us to get is the Baja Almanac. The last print just went out of stock around the entire country and they aren't making new ones till a new version coming out in April. I can't say what info specific to surfing that it has, but it basically covers just about everything you can do in Baja. It sells out after each Baja 1000 (which was at end of Nov...)

All I can say is that we came upon some insanely beautiful surf spots... Not the biggest waves, but LONG rides and not a single person around. Most of this stuff was about 2 hours south of Ensenada and would be a bitch to get to without dirt bikes or 4w.

Have a blast.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #3

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Punta Baja is pretty cool. I've been down there twice. Right before 1 snakes inland, head west. You'll cross a river and eventuaully end up at some big cliffs over a bay. To the north is a little fishing village on a point. When the point goes, you get rides all the way in. Its sweet.

Watch out for the machismo locals
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007   #4

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Punta Cabras

San Diegans here.
We go here a lot (Punta Cabras, buncha pictures here sdyak.com), its about 5 hours from SD. Great camping, very nice surf with a rip that literally transports you to the line up. Another bay to the south has smaller waves. We've been there for some 2X!
And yeah, all the way down is wonderful surf. Not sure about macho locals, BUT banditos, si!. We paid to park near Rosarito one day, trundled down to the beach (5 cars worth), surfed around and came back in 1 hour to find one truck completely scoured. Right down to stealing PANTS. $&#^@.
We also go to here (LOS ALISITOS TRAILER PARK Km 59, TJ-Ens Free road, north of Hotel La Mission ), it is closer to the border.
And somewhere online you'll find a guide to surf spots. Maybe this (http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Centra...181/index.html).
Also La Bufadora area, closer to Ensenada is really worth checking out. In much lower surf, SD folks rock garden there, though in winter, hummm, maybe not. Google it. Cool place. Plenty of camping; developed and dirt lots.
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #5

Edwards, Colorado
Check out this place: http://www.coyotecals.com/

We were there end of Dec and the waves were probably 12' high. Great hostel with 7 breaks within 2 miles. Also tons of great camping on the beach.
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #6

student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
I got down there last fall to the southern end of baja. i flew into los cabos and rented a brand new vw jetta for 16$/ day... drove west, and slightly north up the peninsula about 60 miles ( jsut south of todos santos) to a beach called 'los cerrritos'. It's a rocky point / beach break, that's super fun and mellow. When i was there, it was 3-7 ft, and 10-40 second rides, depending on the tide.
theres a shack on the beach that sells fish tacos and tecate.. and TS is only 10-15 min away for water and supplies.. camping on the beach too.
it was never crowded with a mix of locals and gringos.. super friendly atmoshpere.. and plenty o' tasty waves..
chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #7

student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
I got down there last fall to the southern end of baja. i flew into los cabos and rented a brand new vw jetta for 16$/ day... drove west, and slightly north up the peninsula about 60 miles ( jsut south of todos santos) to a beach called 'los cerrritos'. It's a rocky point / beach break, that's super fun and mellow. When i was there, it was 3-7 ft, and 10-40 second rides, depending on the tide.
theres a shack on the beach that sells fish tacos and tecate.. and TS is only 10-15 min away for water and supplies.. camping on the beach too.
it was never crowded with a mix of locals and gringos.. super friendly atmoshpere.. and plenty o' tasty waves..
chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #8

If your driving from Cali, make sure to get your tourist cards/visas at the boarder and not Ensenada. I was able to get them in ensenada last year but got denied this year and had to drive all the back to Tacate.
For great camping just south of San Quitin (maybe about 3 miles) check out Punta Pabellion. There is a decent sign on HWY 1 for the turn KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED for it. It is a great stopping point on the way down to Coyote and it has easy access to surfing right from the camping beach. I've heard Abrio Los Ojos is the place to surf--south of Guerro Negro. Have a blast, Driving HWY 1 at night is about a IV+ itself.
gregmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #9

I am also headed down that way the beginning of march, in doing my research i found a great surfing guide called "the surfers guide to Baja," it seems to have everything that one needs to know. good luck.
boyImean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #10

I second going to ceritos. Great place. I camped and hung out there for two months a few years ago. Help the local fishermen bring in their catch and they will give you the scraps to make your own tacos but the shack is one of my favorite places. Also up the beach a couple of miles is a break at Los Palmas. A killer point break that breaks left. I spent a lot of time in Todos Santos. Walk through the farms to the beach and there is a treacherous beach break to rival Makapu'u or the Wedge.

Shut Up Frank's in Todos is a fun little bar. And there is a great little Bed and Breakfast/hippy commune called The Way.

When ceritos is uncrowded its a great place to kyak surf. Especially if you are just learning.

I found warm water in November-January. Never used a wet suit.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote