Bailey Update - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2007   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bailey Update

Ran it sunday. Bailey and Pine gauges definitely hosed (and reading low). Tunnel and grant gauges seem to agree with visual flows. Still a good bit of flow coming in the two main tributaires (one before 4 falls, and deer creek) on the run. Would guess 700+ at 4 falls and 800+ at deer creek.

Tree below supermax has shifted. Left side of tree has moved downstream and instead of ducking under it, there is a clear channel around the tree to the left since it is now at a 45 degree downstream angle to the current. Same line as before except no ducking.

Still smiling from the fun this weekend! What a fantastic level! So much fun...

They just cranked another 50 cfs into the tunnel and roberts is about 500 now. Get it while its good and juicy!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007   #2

Quote:
Bailey and Pine gauges definitely hosed (and reading low).
I'd agree. We hit it on the way to Cheeseman Sat. w/ the gage reading 350-450 (depending on whether we rode the bubble) and we all agreed it to be more in the 550+ realm.
Old 07-02-2007   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
After reading about Cheeseman in other post by routter, I was thinking that Bailey at about 700cfs is classic fun. Good drops, all runnable, definitely an umpf factor, runs a lot thanks to Denver's robbing of the Colorado drainage, the scenery ain't bad and eating wild berries on the way down is cool. And running it in a playboat during high flows is fun too, minus four falls and supermax.

Thanks for the update deepsouthpaddler! Did you notice if the log in 3rd drop of four falls was gone - in the "S" turn????
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007   #4

Quote:
After reading about Cheeseman in other post by routter, I was thinking that Bailey at about 700cfs is classic fun.
I agree. Fun stuff.
Old 07-03-2007   #5

Denver, Colorado
Didn't see any wood in the 3rd falls. Somebody posted ealier this season that it was gone. Lots of options in there at current flows.

In the s-turn in the steeps, there was some small wood on the left side of the hole at the bottom of the rapid earlier this year. I didn't see it this time around, but then again there is a lot more water and I had a bunch of it in my face and chest while passing through!

At current levels bailey is a colorado classic. The steeps and the s-turn in particular really stand out at current levels. They just get way bigger and are great fun. Also the paddle in and paddle out move pretty fast too.

Hit the raspberries perfect last year at the end of july. They were everywhere...
Old 07-04-2007   #6

The next zone, .
We went over to baileys on monday and I think the flow reading at bailey was about right. It said about 650 and this is what I would say was in the ditch. I don't think it was over 800. We got under all the bridges and as I remember my big ass cant get under one of those much above 850.

IMO the higher water makes everything down there easier and super fun. The drive from BV and skippin out on lake for a day was worth it for the higher flows.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007   #7

Denver, Colorado
My comment on the flows was that it was probably over 800cfs after deer creek came in, not at the top. I downloaded all the gauge data from the tunnel, grant, bailey and pine. Tunnel and grant completely agree and both had spot on recent physical measurements. Bailey and Pine started to diverge around when they turned the tunnel on and became very erratic.

So anyway, based on my geeky excel model, actual flows at bailey would have been 700ish and over 800 by the time deer creek came in.

Either way its great fun!
Old 07-04-2007   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I only do Bailey when it's low,but for what it is worth,Ivé done Foxton about a buzzllion times at all flows from 85 to 850+,I soloed it late Sunday evening when Watertalk said 410 at Bailey and 667 at Grant,it definitely wasn't 800,I'D SAY 700 which is optimal ,after that it loses technicality ,but gets alittle pushier with bigger waves.Pretty big discrepancy in GAUGES =267 .I know there is a USGS gauge at Pine ,is there a Watertalk station?You say there is a tunnel reading and a Grant reading then the differential would be the flow of Geneva creek,or Geneva +NF above the tunnel?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey