Bailey: Four Falls Landowners Update - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-04-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bailey: Four Falls Landowners Update

I've been in contact with the landowners at Four Falls after some issues at Bailey Fest. The landowners that I have spoken to have been very cool, rational, understanding, and agreeable. They have set up a single contact for the multiple landowners of the Rivercliffe property that will be my contact point to work out issues with the landowners in the future.

I've agreed to inform them when our event is, to give them a heads up. I did not do that this year, didn't know how to contact them, and didn't even register it as a big issue. We didn't even see the landowners at last year's Bailey Fest. This was a mistake on my part that I will fix next year.

The landowners are going to put up some signs about portaging around 4 falls. Something like "you can scout / portage, but do so at your own risk". The landowners understand we need to scout or portage, but they want us to do so quickly and with minimum impact to their land. I think this is reasonable.

The landowner also wants portagers and scouters to use a single place to get out of the river to minimize bank erosion. He apparently put pieces of wood blocking the spots he didn't want folks to get out and put some rudimentary steps or erosion control devices where he does want folks to get out. I have not seen this yet, and I'm not sure where the location is with respect to eddies etc. Once I see it, and get feedback from the community on the spot, we will go from there. As of now, try to find the spot and use it, but it may take a first trip down to figure out where it is. I hope its next to the good big eddy, but I don't think it is, since I saw a piece of wood laying there last time I paddled bailey. More to come on this one.

As always... don't piss on the land (it stinks and they can smell it)... always in the river, don't piss when landowners are present and in view of you, and try not to piss at four falls at all, use the put in bathroom or hold it til supermax. Keep the trail / road on the side of the river clear of boats in case the owner is driving through. Be courteous if you see the landowners.

After a bit of tension at this years Bailey Fest, I think we have things settled out and have a workable agreement to go forward.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
Thanks Ian. We're lucky to have you as the face of Bailey landowner relations.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
This is one of the most important private land river access spots in Colorado. Nice work on keeping at accessible for all of us that love Bailey!
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
the eddy for the 4 falls is on thr right right above the big rock in the middle of the river that has wood on it. there are log stairs with rebar briven through them right down to the river, it is easy to get out and easy to see. there is room for 6 or 8 boats easy and it is super easy access to get out there. I have seen the land owners a few times in the last few weeks and have been respectful and kind, they are happy to see us in small groups. i think all the comotion pissed them off at bailey fest, they are cool folks.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #5

80523, Confusion
Ian, you rock. Thanks for all you do.
hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
many thanks for your efforts!

you represent the ideal attitude of a boater regarding a run in question: respect and communication.

theres no demanding for anything, theres no attitude, its up front establishment of what they want, and how we can safely and smoothly cooperate with the folks that live there. i cant tell you how nice it is to see boaters working amicably with landowners towards a better future for everyone.

also, why cant people quit pissing there? seriously. this has been brought up for like six years. hold it people, seriously.

thanks again ian, we appreciate your efforts more than youll ever know!! keep up the great PR work. hopefully they will judge the rest of us kayakers on you and your candor and attitude!
Old 10-04-2011   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Like.
Old 10-04-2011   #8

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Ian,

Thanks for all the work!

If the land owners are looking for help in building any of these takeout/put in locations for boaters, I for one would be willing to spend a few weekend this winter volunteering time to help
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks guys.

Also, when I spoke with the landowner, he noted that the major clearing work that they did to thin out the trees around four falls was for fire mitigation. I assumed it was for ease of access for his car along the road.

I'm thankful that that the four falls landowners are amicable. Its not always the case, and its many times the other way around. It makes working out issues way less confrontational than the traditional shotgun and sheriff approach sometimes used by hostile landowners.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #10

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Thanks guys.

Also, when I spoke with the landowner, he noted that the major clearing work that they did to thin out the trees around four falls was for fire mitigation. I assumed it was for ease of access for his car along the road.

I'm thankful that that the four falls landowners are amicable. Its not always the case, and its many times the other way around. It makes working out issues way less confrontational than the traditional shotgun and sheriff approach sometimes used by hostile landowners.
Since there have been both amicable and not so amicable situations, the newly commissioned (9/9/2011 - 9/9/2015) "Governor's River Access Mediation Commission" may be useful to mediate present and future issues to access and use natural streams in Bailey and all of Colorado.

Lee Spann, Gunnison rancher, Bob Hamel, Howard rafting outfitter and former CROA President, and Mike King, Director of Colorado Department of Natural Resources are the Commission members.

To contact/get more info, call Colorado Boards & Commissions at 303-866-6380 or email [email protected] .
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey