Bailey flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2018   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Bailey flows

So me and my dad are planning on running baily for our first time this weekend and we heard from people very different things about the flows so I would just like to know what the min it and when it gets beefy me and my dad have run gore (walked the meat) once and I hurt my shoulder right before tunnle but we are solid class IV+ boaters as we frequent barrel at low water.

ColoradoKayak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018   #2

Paddling Since: 2004
I'm no expert but just ran it for the first time during baileyfest at about 600cfs. I think we've bumped into each other at Barrel (Jimmy?) this is Erik owner of whitewater rafting in GWS. Anyway, the boating isn't a huge step up from Barrel or Gore, its mostly read and run, boat scout IV+ boogie water at those flows. But... I had a hell of a time finding the scouts. None of us had run it. Almost sucked into SuperMax (which IS a step up from Gore Rapid at those flows IMO), and barely got my crew to safety. I led and was pretty stressed trying to find the scouts. Otherwise fun and manageable.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #3

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I've run it at 330. I was told the difference from there to 600 wasn't in line choice so much as speed. It's just moving a lot faster. The upshot is that the lines are padded out. The downside is if you don't know where the scout eddies are...
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018   #4

Thanks Eric I rember a few times where we bumped into eachother on barrel and the wave, It sound like baily would be a good run for my but I think I’d need a guide so I don’t go into Supermax or four falls. Thanks for the info bailyfest looked awesome on video hope you had fun there!
ColoradoKayak15 is offline   Reply With Quote