Bailey Fest 2010! - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bailey Fest 2010!

Bailey Fest 2010 is less than two weeks away! On Aug 14/15, Denver Water will release ~300cfs out of Roberts tunnel, providing a great weekend of paddling on the North Fork of the South Platte. This is the first recreational release on the NFSP, so come celebrate it! There will be a takeout party at the Bailey Takeout with free food and beer saturday 2pm - 6pm (all Bailey & Foxton boaters welcome). We will also have free group camping along forest road 550. I'll get there early to get a good big campsite... anybody that wants to camp during the event is welcome. CW is doing a cruise along the foxton section on sunday. Please use the alternate Bailey put in and parking listed on the flyers attached below. Also, big thanks to our sponsors Confluence Kayak Shop and Jackson Kayaks... THANKS!

I've heard reports of boaters thinking about coming from out of state... Come on down! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me... Ian: 303-907-1373

Also, I'm looking for some volunteers. I'm looking for a couple of folks to help set up the BBQ / Beers at the Pine Valley Ranch Park on saturday, around 11-2. Would also like some help with the BBQ during the event. Want to grill some burgers and drink beer... you are hired!

Please note that heavy rain could cancel the release. Denver Water will provide an update on weekend flows by thur/fri the week of the event.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010   #2

oh yeah
ian, you da man.

thanks.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #3

B.F.E., Wyoming
Yes! I am going to try and get down there for it Ian! Seems like a great time to get a first run on Bailey.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
hopefully i can make it Ian. everybody should do what they can to get to Bailey, support the recreational release,it would possibly help with more kayaking oportunities in general in the future.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nice work!

Can't they just use some extra water out of strontia springs ahead of time, so there is a little buffer space to do a release weather the demand exists that weekend or not?

For that matter can't they just raise and lower strontia springs on a regular basis to make room for regular releases? Is S.S. even full?

It sucks to think that rain could cancel it entirely.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Looking forward to it Ian. Great job!

It would be nice if they could take Dave's very logical option.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post

It sucks to think that rain could cancel it entirely.
Oh the irony.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post

Can't they just use some extra water out of strontia springs ahead of time, so there is a little buffer space to do a release weather the demand exists that weekend or not?

For that matter can't they just raise and lower strontia springs on a regular basis to make room for regular releases? Is S.S. even full?
Dave, using storage to deliver higher flows short term is a good idea. I've approached denver water about this, and we discussed it in detail. There's a ton of details and boundary conditions, but Denver Water has agreed to use storage to move more water than demand calls for if we can't meet the minimum 300 threshold for the event. They could probably deliver an extra 50ish cfs to help out the event, and they have been planning for this backup.

Strontia isn't the best storage to use as lowering the res sucks in sediment and causes water quality problems. Strontia is also a small res. Chatfield is much larger and is the reservoir targeted for storage if needed for the event.

I'll continue to explore using storage with denver water. At this point using storage to allow for significant flows (ie several hundred cfs) isn't something denver water is willing to do. Denver water has given me some specific reasons for this such as wanting to keep the water high in the system for flexibility, the fact that higher water has better quality and is easier to treat for water supply, and the fact that they have many boundary conditions on the reservoirs for recreation as well.

As for rain canceling the event... yes it would suck. Denver water has agreed to a rain date (probably labor day) if we get rained out. It would take a lot of rain to cancel the event, not just a little rain. It would take the amount of rain we are getting right now to cancel the event... its rare, but it does happen. I'm hoping we get a week or so of rain and its dry during the event.
Old 08-03-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If anyone is new to this run, I'd be happy to show a new group down. If u can confidently read n run creek-style IV, and if u can shoulder a boat to walk a few times, then u will have no problems running Bailey with a guide. It's a familiar run to anyone who's local, but there's a few bad spots that are nice to have pointed out to you on your first time down. I'm sure they'll be tons of people, but thought I'd throw out the offer.
Old 08-03-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Nice Freemont. Bailey should be at a good first timer level, and end of the season bailey is pefect timing for getting on it. Hoping to see some big grins from first timers at Bailey Fest.

Tags
bailey