Bailay runnable? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2007   #1

longmont, Colorado
Bailay runnable?

Is Bailey runnable at the current 183 CFS? What is the minimum flow for not scraping the whole way down? Is there any way to find out if there will be more water running this weekend? Thanks.

buck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think the answer is you can get down at that level, but it will be scrapy. People have and will again run it that low, but it's below many people's tolerance level.

Caspian (buzz name) is the contact w/ Denver water and sometimes they give him info about flows, sometimes not. He's your best hope for a prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck123 View Post
Is Bailey runnable at the current 183 CFS? What is the minimum flow for not scraping the whole way down? Is there any way to find out if there will be more water running this weekend? Thanks.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yes, you can get down. No, no one will go with you... 250 is a Mank Crew desperation level. Gore is great over a grand and similar difficulty - go there.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007   #4

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey Buck!
we ran it last weekend at like 230. It was extremely boney, there were FU rocks everywhere. I was told it is a lot easier and fun at 350 and up.

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #5

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Christine, go easy on 'er!

The rapids are fun at any level. I've done it down to 145 which is pushing it. It's the class II that gets torturous, but it beats golf. I actually don't think that the FU rocks are that bad, it's just a different skill in reading the water. At 225 you can start to get more lazy in watching for them, but at 300 is where it starts to be classic in my book. The scenery is classic at any level!

On the DWB tip...I e-mailed on Wednesday but didn't hear back yet, which is odd b/c they are usually very responsive and helpful. I apologize for the lack of recent updates - I just started a new job and the last few weeks a lot has gotten away from me. I've now got an Outlook reminder so I don't forget--this is the most critical part of the Bailey season, after all - when everything else but Gore, WW and Shosho have dried up.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #6

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
yep, runnable and good

Ran it last Sunday. Another no-portage decent. I've run all assorted levels between 100 and 1000 ... it's always a classic. Really liked 220. Lots of fun and way beautiful. I'll am llooking to the next trip.
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #7

220 is fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post
Ran it last Sunday. Another no-portage decent. I've run all assorted levels between 100 and 1000 ... it's always a classic. Really liked 220. Lots of fun and way beautiful. I'll am llooking to the next trip.
I am an east coaster, and we did it that same day. There are some spots that are a little scrapy, but all the good stuff is totally fine. good side of low imo. all class 3-4 creekin with a moderate 5 at supermax, which was pretty easy. I could see 600 being "interesting".

I am definitely seeing differences in the perception of low across the US. Maybe its b/c westerners just float down the paddle ins/outs and hit every rock, but I hit very few. Or mabe SE'ers are just more tolerant of an occasional scrapey scrape to run great whitewater. Any class 5 in the SE is scrapy. If its not, you'll never live to tell someone otherwise. Good run at 220, but any lower will involve some noticeable unpleasantries.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #8

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
You know who loves boatin? I love boatin.

However, y'all are making me sick and I'm starting to think the Mank Crew needs a new name....

That being said git sum if that gittin is good to you.

Joe

Also, just because the Green is amazing at 236cfs doesn't mean bailey is. Plus, the Green is way better at 200% (500cfs?) anyway.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
You know who loves boatin? I love boatin.

However, y'all are making me sick and I'm starting to think the Mank Crew needs a new name....

That being said git sum if that gittin is good to you.

Joe

Also, just because the Green is amazing at 236cfs doesn't mean bailey is. Plus, the Green is way better at 200% (500cfs?) anyway.
not amazing, but certainly acceptable. Point taken. The green doesn't run 200% much anymore
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #10

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Not exactly fair to compare. The Green is one of the highest quality runs in the country. Never done it over 140-150%, but it is amazing, period. Bailey is good, but not a national classic by any means.

I'm sure when the SE starts getting rain again, there will be 200% days again.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote