Bad weekend on the Payettes 2 drownings - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2009   #1

most weekends up on the payettes, Idaho
Paddling Since: 83
Bad weekend on the Payettes 2 drownings

this is a cut and paste from the kayak idaho site:

"A group put-in in a rented raft on the North Fork Payette river, just above Otters Slide. Otters Slide is class V. A woman's body was recovered on one of the islands just downstream of Otters.

An male in an inner tube floating the SF Payette scenic stretch, from Alder Creek to Confluence, was caught in a log jam. The victim was helicoptered out after more than 30 minutes of CPR. Status unknown."

Here's what the Statesman said:

BANKS, Idaho — Two people are dead after separate rafting accidents on the Payette River.
Emergency workers in Boise County were called to the first accident Saturday afternoon, when a raft holding 10 people on a family reunion hit a rapid and tipped, throwing two teenagers and a 47-year-old woman.
The teens were able to make it to shore, but Sharon Irene Barclay of Lakewood, Wash. became stuck under a log and drowned. Boise County Chief Deputy Dale Rogers says the group was in the water for less than 10 minutes when the raft tipped about three miles north of Banks.
The second accident happened a short time later, when two men from Salt Lake City hit a log jam while tubing near Garden Valley. A 57-year-old man was sucked under the jam and drowned. The men were not wearing life jackets.

NF runnning about 2k this last weekend.

Prayers are with the families.

Sidnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have sympathy for the victims and their families, however I have to ask why the media can't get something as simple as this correct:

Quote:
...separate rafting accidents on the Payette River...
This is a raft:

This is not a raft:

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #3

San Diego and Frisco, CO
I was there shortly after the woman's body was found, the male was indeed in an inner tube, the woman was rafting on what I recall was a cataraft. Can't comfirm if it was rented. I don't know too much more about their experience, though it was a single boat trip on the Class V section of NF Payette (oither drowning was Middle Fork).
Rumors flying include kayakers who warned them strongly not to attempt the run.
Very sad.
And yeah condolences to the family.

Kim J
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009   #4

most weekends up on the payettes, Idaho
Paddling Since: 83
Here is another article, check the comments after the story---

http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/idaho/stories/NW_072609IDN-raft-accident-KS.7c06b3e4.html
Sidnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #5

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe to get to the put in you drive right along the NF the whole way and would be able to see what you're about to raft. I've only driven that road once and its been four or five years, but I recall taking a look at the NF as I drove along and thinking that it was beyond my ability. Is it possible that they thought they were on the SF Payette?
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
The most significant comment from that article, from the husband of the victim:

Quote:
Thank you for your condolences. I just wanted to add a few details to this tragedy to help other people understand. Everyone was wearing life jackets. Sharon had river rafted many times. All on the raft except two had experience. The river was recommended by other local people. The store where we rented the raft told us nothing about the danger while he fitted us with life jackets, and didnít even suggest we wear helmets. There were no signs classifying the river as IV or V level posted anywhere to warn us. Had we been given that information, we would have not taken the chance. The Sheriff even commented that they need to mark the river because of the number of deaths that occur. Unfortunately, there was a man from Salt Lake City who drowned just 15 minuets later on another part of the river. We entered the river on a calmer section, but once we hit that first rapid that threw my wife, one of my daughters, and two male cousins out, we knew we needed to get out, but it was too late. We were able to get my daughter and cousins back in the raft, but not my wife. It could have been much worst. But it is bad enough. Thank you all again for your comments. God bless us all.
I've got to wonder how clearly they communicated where they were going, or if they put on somewhere other than they intended. There's no way a rental company would have failed to warn them about running that stretch of river.

What a horrible situation.
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post

I've got to wonder how clearly they communicated where they were going, or if they put on somewhere other than they intended. There's no way a rental company would have failed to warn them about running that stretch of river.

I wondered the same thing. I wonder if they were really wanting to do the Cabarton? That is still the North Fork, correct? They are very lucky no one else was killed or injured.

Skyman
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #8

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post

Rental companies would probably be expecting you to raft the Main Payette starting at the confluence of the North Fork and the South Fork Payette. This section is class II-III and relatively safe. I bet these folks mistakenly put-on on the North Fork Payette which is class V.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #9

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Or were planning on running the Staircase section of the South Fork, and didn't turn right at Banks. It's a class IV run, and still not appropriate for inexperienced boaters, but that doesn't stop some of them from running it.
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #10
stb

student
i was up there and as we were coming down an officer called us over, so we split and went looking. We quickly ran down scanning the banks, and the two after us found her body as they were making a more fine tooth search. She was in a log jam in one of the islands after otters.

Even driving up to where they put in you pass crunch and juicer. There is no way to miss it. i can't believe what they were thinking putting on. Sucks, but what can you do. People told them not to put on, you drive right pass two big rapids and like a mile of constant class IV run out. How clearer it can be spelled out, i dont know. Condolences, for sure. But, realistically, it should have been way worse - 10 people on a raft on the north fork.
stb is offline   Reply With Quote