Bad PR in Bailey - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2008   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Bad PR in Bailey

A group of us were paddling Bailey yesterday and saw a raft oar jammed vertically up through one of the low bridges in the first mile or two. When we got to the "dream house" the owner motioned us over and explained that local land owners were furious because of this rafting mishap that happened on Wednesday.
Apparently this raft got jacked up in the bridge, along with the people on it. The land owners were pissed because the rafters finally stopped downstream, started a fire (those folks are very sensitive to fires these days), and initiated a search and rescue response that crossed their land. We saw the raft downstream and got the name and number off of it.
The guy was actually from Bailey. I won't post the number here and can't fully remember his last name- Koud...? The raft was set up more for fishing than running class V so it could have been a matter of missing the take-out. Starting a fire might have been a smart thing to do if someone was in the water for a long time and hypothermic. Still, the locals are pissed and are in the position to make things itchy for paddlers if they want to. The guy at the dream house was sympathetic to paddlers but pointed out that most others were not. If you are the rafters whom I am writing about, please PM me and I will give you the guys contact info. I think some communication could go a long way toward smoothing things out. The rest of us need to remember that all of the scouting and portaging we do is on private land and we need to continue to respect it. I don't think I've ever seen an errant Clif bar wrapper or any other signs that paddlers have been there before.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008   #2

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Anyone interested in going in to get that raft out? I saw it briefly, but didn't get out and look at it. Could you run it down Bailey with some prudent portages?
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #3

Bend, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
Anyone interested in going in to get that raft out? I saw it briefly, but didn't get out and look at it. Could you run it down Bailey with some prudent portages?
Joe
You would need to bring some oars (pins and clips) or a few paddles to R-2 it. You might be able to dislodge the oar on the bridge but it is likely damaged. The oar on the boat is bent 90 degrees. You could bring some small playboats that could easily be lashed on. Sounds like an adventure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
any news on how this turned out?
mike- hold on to that persons phone number... if we loose access to that run we'll need to get a hold of that guy.
Old 06-25-2008   #5

Bend, Oregon
Nope, nothing new. Hopefully he'll be a helpful resource if it comes down to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboner View Post
any news on how this turned out?
mike- hold on to that persons phone number... if we loose access to that run we'll need to get a hold of that guy.

Tags
bailey